Kohler 7000 Series - Possible cause for loss of power

Jbgleg6328

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 7000 Series - Possible cause for loss of power
I am new to this forum and needing advice on how to move forward.

Model KT735-3013
Serial #4419603293

Started my mower last week for first time in two months, but it had a considerable loss of power when blades were engaged.

Initial findings:

Mower would die when right spark plug wire was removed from plug.
I checked compression on left cylinder - only had 100 PSI compared to 150 on right side. I am not sure how accurate my old gauge is but the comparison indicated to me that the left cylinder was low compression

Inspected the cylinder wall of the left cylinder and didn't see anything alarming.
It appeared that the left side head had gotten hot but there was no severe damage to the head gasket that I could see.
Replaced head gasket on left cylinder and set the valve clearance at .006" and put everything back together.
Started mower and it still had the same low power and would die when the opposite spark plug was removed.
Further inspection found the left cylinder was not firing.
Replaced coil on both sides per the repair shops recommendation and set the gap at .016 per their instructions.

I checked for fire and compression on both cylinders and everything seemed okay. I started the engine and it ran and engaged blades correctly and had plenty of power initially.

After a few minutes it started losing power gradually. It felt like it was getting hot and was trying to seize up. I allowed the mower to cool down then limped it to my shop and started checking the same issues I had previously.

Found that it would not run when the plug wire on the right cylinder was disconnected and the compression on the right cylinder was again low.

Now I am wondering if there might be additional problems on the left cylinder. I haven't worked on small engines in years so I looking for advice from some pros.

Thanks for the help.
JBGleg