Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!

boatman

Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
I did read all this stuff before posting, from what I've seen you did in #1....The carb. is not the problem. It is just out of time (Crank,Cam,Counter-Balancer,Governor Gear) Tear it all down again in the block....and remove it all and start over. You need to check the flywheel key to make sure it has not sheared by now too.

I wanted to thank you Mr. Cajun for your advice on this one, looks like you could be right on the sheared key, I will get one first thing in the morning and keep you updated, this key was in three pieces when I pulled the fly wheel off. I know when I put it back on it was all clean and correct, but possibly it back fired when I hit the starter or something, I am not really sure.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
Glad you found this... you had ran out of single issue problems... I was trying to think of multiple problems that could do this:confused2:...
When you put the nut back on the fly wheel, get it tight... all it takes is one kick back and if loose, it'll shear that soft aluminum key... :smile:KennyV

CajunCub

Threads
The reason a flywheel key shears after a rebuild most often is, the flywheel did not get tourqued down tight enough....Get the 1/2" impact & Hammer that Thing back down!:laughing:
Glad to hear that you found your problem...Your Welcome!:biggrin:

boatman

Threads
Glad you found this... you had ran out of single issue problems... I was trying to think of multiple problems that could do this:confused2:...
When you put the nut back on the fly wheel, get it tight... all it takes is one kick back and if loose, it'll shear that soft aluminum key... :smile:KennyV

Thanks, Kenny, that was it, the engine sounds great! It started right up.

boatman

Threads
The reason a flywheel key shears after a rebuild most often is, the flywheel did not get tourqued down tight enough....Get the 1/2" impact & Hammer that Thing back down!:laughing:

Point well taken Cajuncub, I have now beared it down real good, and it runs like a top!
Thanks so much, it sounds great!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
OUTSTANDING !!!!! :thumbsup: !!!!! :thumbsup: :biggrin: :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Not an idea I gave you, but after everything you did it SHOULD run Great :thumbsup: !

boatman

Threads
OUTSTANDING !!!!! :thumbsup: !!!!! :thumbsup: :biggrin: :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Not an idea I gave you, but after everything you did it SHOULD run Great :thumbsup: !

Ok, so I get it all together and it runs great, then I kill it, now, it starts for one second and dies, and continues this until I leave it alone and come back a hour or two later.
I just sprayed the carb out and jet and does the same thing, the fuel pump works great, the fuel is fresh, the fuel filter is about 1.5 inches in diameter and has very little in the bottom of it, it lays horizontal. Any Ideas?

jeff

Threads
Yep, you say there is a little debris in the filter. I will sugest that a small piece of that has worked it's way into the carb somewhere. I think a very good carb soak is in order. I Like to use distilled vinegar, but you could use berrymans or some other goodcleaner.

Trcustoms719

Threads
Did you adjust the valves to the correct specs?

Trcustoms719

Threads

A flywheel nut should be turqed to the correct specs, you can risk stripping the threads or cracking the flywheel with a impact.
Bolt should be reinstalled with a turqe wrench, not a impact gun.

Last edited: