Kohler 23 HP engine runs rough

Aussie Ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I'm new to this and I hope someone out there can offer some practical advice. My Toro Timecutter Z5020 has suddenly developed a problem, it is difficult to start, I have to use the choke and to keep it running the choke can't be pushed in, as soon as I push it in the engine dies but even before that it just keeps on surging like I'm pushing the throttle on and off. I'm at a loss as to what it might be, I've cleaned the plugs and changed the fuel, cleaned the air filter and changed the fuel filter, I am totally lost as to what might be the problem. Yesterday when I began mowing the lawn it was fine for an hour and then it started this surging and stopped, I did the above things and it started and ran for a while before doing the same thing over and over. Today it won't keep going at all, it just begins surging and cuts out. Please help me, thanks in advance, Ron.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to dis-assemble the whole fuel system and clean it out.. Get rid of all of that pesky dirty water, and let it totally dry, as well as the carb.

Aussie Ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to dis-assemble the whole fuel system and clean it out.. Get rid of all of that pesky dirty water, and let it totally dry, as well as the carb.

Thank you very much for your advice I'll get onto it straight away, much obliged, Ron.

Aussie Ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, since I was last on the forum I have twice disassembled and cleaned the carburettor, cleaned the fuel lines, changed the fuel, cleaned the tank and refilled with new fuel, fitted a new fuel filter, fitted a new air filter, fitted a new fuel pump as well as replaced the spark plugs, did an oil change and oil filter change but now instead of surging the engine runs fine for a couple of minutes and just dies like it's run out of fuel, the only thing I can think of now is the float in the carburettor or the needle or both, it's got me pulling my hair out, any suggestions from the forum would be greatly appreciated, Ron.

Aussie Ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi again,

I have solved the problem, when I pulled the fuel system down the only thing I didn't check was the fuel line from the tank to the filter, turns out it was full of crud, blew it out and she goes like a rocket. I've got no idea how it got into the tank, maybe my grandkids were trying to fill the tank for me, lol. Thanks for your help, at least now I know the engine is right after I replaced mostly everything, cheers, Ron.

Tater50

Threads
I know that this is an OLD thread but I bought a 35HP B&S Scag and paid our shop mechanic to work on it cause I did not have time. He claimed I needed fuel pumps; bought those & no go. Finally I took the time and cleaned gas tank (it was fine) and checked every fuel line. Bingo: right @ the pumps; due to sitting up for several months; the ethanol gas had gummed up and there was a piece about 2" long of the ethanol crud blocking the line. Looked like a hardened piece of caulk. Hope this helps someone in the future.