Keep Those Blades Sharp!! No need for expensive sharpeners!!

Thanks for a great tip, Tom.

I've tried your method and I find it's:
- much faster than using a bench grinder
- it's much easier to maintain the factory angle due to better visibility
- removes much less material
- generates much less heat so there's no need to quench
- produces a lovely flat & even finish.
I second that. For years I used a bench grinder for sharpening blades. Even when using a big industrial size one at work, I found it slow and it required continuous quenching so as not to overheat the blade. An angle grinder with just about any kind of cutoff wheel is much better. I discovered that method when I couldn't find a breaker bar long enough to remove one of my blades and decided to do it in situ with my angle grinder instead. Necessity is the mother of invention.
 
Back
Top