Kawasaki Oil Consumption

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cub Cadet 1525 hydro, Kawasaki FH381V/FH430V

Dad bought it at Lowes 10years ago. He always used the 10w-30 valvoline. I noticed oil consumption last year. So this year I put 30w in it instead and still having oil consumption. No signs of leaking oil. New spark plug this mowing season.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Already have the service manual. But on length of time. I couldnt tell ya cause I dont use the mower. I know its always on the add mark but seems it doesnt drop any lower than that. I'm guessing it takes 30 to 90 days to drop to the add mark when full.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are there two people checking the oil level. Reason I ask, is that the person changing the oil may be screwing the dipstick in when refilling and you are resting the cap on top when checking. This will give you two different reading. Also, stoping to the add level after 75 hrs. Would be in normal usage range. Hope you are using 30W oil and not 10W-30. Use of a multi-viscosity oil in hot conditions will lead to greater oil consumption.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are there two people checking the oil level. Reason I ask, is that the person changing the oil may be screwing the dipstick in when refilling and you are resting the cap on top when checking. This will give you two different reading. Also, stoping to the add level after 75 hrs. Would be in normal usage range. Hope you are using 30W oil and not 10W-30. Use of a multi-viscosity oil in hot conditions will lead to greater oil consumption.

Really normal oil consumption? Yes there using 30w oil. Yes 2 checking cause we use this mower to mow at 2 houses.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, 10 years old, average 3 hours a week, two yards, hot weather, that wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, 10 years old, average 3 hours a week, two yards, hot weather, that wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Sorry I disagree with that theory. I would agree if was walk behind engine but not a rider engine. I'm gonna post how hours are actually on the mower. Then we a determine if its wore out or not.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's fine, but you asked. Tractors will use more oil than push mowers. Slopes and rough ground will speed up consumption.

chance123

Threads
Sorry I disagree with that theory. I would agree if was walk behind engine but not a rider engine. I'm gonna post how hours are actually on the mower. Then we a determine if its wore out or not.

It is normal for a 10 year old engine to burn up to 1/2 ounce an hour according to B & S service school. After 10 years, most if not all the cross hatch in the cylinder has been worn away. Cross hatch spreads the oil all around the cylinder. Once the hatch is gone, the oil goes only up & down in select parts of the cylinder verses "all around" resulting in wear to both cylinder and rings.