Kawasaki LP conversion converted back to gasoline??

jcross312

Forum Newbie
Hello everybody, hope i'm in the right place. Just joined the forum because of an issue im dealing with. I am trying to replace a kawasaki fx801 engine on an Exmark 60" mower. I came across a great deal on an FX850 engine, so I pulled the trigger. Well it finally shows up and its a dang LP conversion! :mad::thumbdown: I could send it back to the tune of about $350-400 after all shipping charges and 15% restock fee. :mad::mad::mad: What I'd really like to do is just keep it and put a carb on it since the return shipping/restocking is so high. So my question is, is this a standard fx850 engine on the inside with just a LP carburetor, or are there internal changes that would make the carb swap a bad idea?

Somebody....PLease....and thank you.
 
I don't know for sure but I think the only difference in the engine is the fuel system.

I'm basing this on my experience with a 1-ton Chevy truck that was converted to LP. Actually, it was dual fuel--it could run on LP or gasoline. We usually started it on gasoline, then switched to propane after a few minutes, then switched back to gas a the end of the day.

It had noticeably less power on propane but propane was much cheaper than gas and the oil stayed very clean.

So I think all you have to do is replace the propane induction system with a gasoline system.

Or, you could hang a propane cylinder on the mower somewhere.
 
I hope you're right. I've seen a generic picture of a propane conversion kit online somewhere and it looked like just the fuel related parts. Really trying to find out for sure on this exact engine before ordering the $400 carburetor.
 
If I had a propane engine on a riding mower I would make a tray for a 2 1/2 or 5 gallon bottle on the back and let her rip...

Think about it propane it is cheaper and cleaner, also no carb issues after sitting 3 months......
 
Thanks for the responses. I don't know where you guys live, but here in South Alabama propane runs about 50 cents more per gallon than 87 octane. Not to mention the hassle it seems like it would be. Not nearly as many places sell propane than gas, and you cant just pull up to the pump and fill a propane tank up. Maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, thanks for the reassurance that there are no internal differences in the engines. Think im gonna try to order a gasoline carb for it.
 
Up here in Tennessee I only use 100% gas. Easy to get, & the mowers like it very much.
So you run propane? How do you fill the tanks? And right now gasoline is 2.45 a gallon and propane is 3.09 a gallon. Seems like it would end up costing money to run propane. This guy is gonna be running this thing 8 hrs a day.
 
So you run propane? How do you fill the tanks? And right now gasoline is 2.45 a gallon and propane is 3.09 a gallon. Seems like it would end up costing money to run propane. This guy is gonna be running this thing 8 hrs a day.

Do a little research you may find that a gallon propane will out run a gallon of gasoline.
 
Back
Top