Kawasaki FR651V will turn over but will not start

Bobby 63

Forum Newbie
Threads
it had been running just fine, was mowing and it died, i had been using the mower weekly , if not twice a week for several months now.
i have eliminated all the safety switches, fuel pump is supplying all the gas, very strong stream. fuel lines cleared, etc.
the only thing would be to pull apart the intake and see what could be blocking the flow, i will try that next.
i am confused as to what or how something could block the gas flow??
any suggestions ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is only one thing that shuts off the fuel supply to the engine.
The carb solenoid which is why we carried on about it.
The carb solenoid jambs a plug into the end of the main jet so the fuel can not flow through the carb.
That is what it is there for,
When you turn the engine off the sparks stop but the engine continues to spin because of it's inertia.
During this time fuel continues to be drawn out of the carb and passes unburned through the engine then out the muffler.
This contravines the EPA clean running regulations.
The unburned fuel then accumulates in the muffler and because the internals of the muffler are red hot, when the air : fuel ratio get to a combustable level it goes bang.
So it gets called an anti-afterfire solenoid so owners think it is doing some good.

If the carb is working properly that is the only thing that prevents fuel passing into the engine.
The easiest way to eliminate it as the problem is to replace it with a bolt.

The only other thing could be a cheap carb bought of the web that was defective stock , as a lot are , with a problem like a main jet with no hole or an emulson tube with no holes.
Both of these I have seen on customers mowers that funny enough would not start.

jerry45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks, I have the EXACT same problem EXCEPT when the engine turns over when trying to start, raw GAS does spray out the tailpipe so GAS is getting into the engine but not firing?
It is a Kawasaki FR691V and it was running fine when it just stopped.
It turns over perfectly and never had trouble starting before, but it just stopped and will not fire.
Since there are TWO spark plugs and since it never backfired or had trouble starting I assume the plugs are OK.
So I am certain it has to do with some kind of firing going to the plugs that is not functioning.
Any idea what that would be and where it is located?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
One thing I would check is that the crankcase doesn't have any GASOLINE in it with the oil. smell of the dipstick.
Next pull a spark plug out, reconnect the wire, and ground the metal of the plug to the engine, having another person helps here, to turn the key. Look for spark at the plug. do it on both plugs.
next, if no spark, remove the engine cover, find the ignition coil, it should have a small black wire plugged into it, besides the plug wires. Unplug that wire and try to start it/check for spark again. If you have spark now, that means something is grounding the coil and killing spark, either the wire you unplug is shorted, or it may be a ignition switch issue. If you unplug the ground wire and No spark still, ignition coil is bad.
and when it died, did it sputter and spit then die, or die just like you turned the key?

jerry45

Forum Newbie
Threads
One thing I would check is that the crankcase doesn't have any GASOLINE in it with the oil. smell of the dipstick.
Next pull a spark plug out, reconnect the wire, and ground the metal of the plug to the engine, having another person helps here, to turn the key. Look for spark at the plug. do it on both plugs.
next, if no spark, remove the engine cover, find the ignition coil, it should have a small black wire plugged into it, besides the plug wires. Unplug that wire and try to start it/check for spark again. If you have spark now, that means something is grounding the coil and killing spark, either the wire you unplug is shorted, or it may be a ignition switch issue. If you unplug the ground wire and No spark still, the ignition coil is bad.
and when it died, did it sputter and spit then die, or die just like you turned the key?
Great response, that will keep me busy for a while...

It just died like I turn the key off...funny we are talking about it being like the ignition switch was turned off because when I started it earlier, it seemed to stop when my glove touched the key...and it happened twice before I made sure I wasn't touching the key after starting...methinks I need to check where the key switch is and if the run wire is connected or switch is defective??? The key fires up the starter but the run wire or setting might be off or broke???
Then I'll follow up with your suggestions which are great...thanks for the quick response. It will be a few days before I get back to it...thanks again.
(The mower is near where my grandkids get their bikes and other somewhat heavy toys out from around the tractor and I did leave the key in the ignition by accident making it vulnerable to something hitting it pretty easy. my bad.)

Lawn Addict
Threads
Confusing, because of 2 different threads.

Best to start a fresh one & not jump a thread.

PCVST.TECH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, so to reference the first part of this thread, trouble shooting my way through this same issue after the mower has sat idle for the winter season. got no fuel coming out of the pump when cranking, she should be squirt squirt squirting out the outlet with the hose off, yes?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey, so to reference the first part of this thread, trouble shooting my way through this same issue after the mower has sat idle for the winter season. got no fuel coming out of the pump when cranking, she should be squirt squirt squirting out the outlet with the hose off, yes?
Yes.
Sitting all season floating debris will tned to drop to the bottom of the tank then block off the outlet.
Take the cap off & blow back through the tube from the tank.
Note the pump has a check valve in it so don't try blowing back through that .

Bobby Sky

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kawasaki FR651V will turn over but will not start
it had been running just fine, was mowing and it died, i had been using the mower weekly , if not twice a week for several months now.
i have eliminated all the safety switches, fuel pump is supplying all the gas, very strong stream. fuel lines cleared, etc.
the only thing would be to pull apart the intake and see what could be blocking the flow, i will try that next.
i am confused as to what or how something could block the gas flow??
any suggestions ?
coils! coils! coils! the kawasaki coils are good for 5 years then they need to be replaced, u bought 2 coils on ebay for $35. problem solved..