Kawasaki FH680V is hard to start

bdom

Threads
As well as taking a lot of cranking to start, the engine is very slow to turn when you first turn the key. Yes, that could be a battery/starter motor/solenoid issue. We shall see.

gregjo1948

Threads
Thank you for your interest in my problem. The mower is hard to start, meaning it takes a lot of cranking. Once started it runs great. Better after I adjusted the valves. I think I have them right. I mowed for two hours today. The jury's still out on the problem. But here is the part number of the spring that I think is broken. Kawasaki 921457001 SPRING . What do you think? This spring is part of the mechanism that opens the exhaust valve at low RPMs to allow for easier starting.

I don't remember for certain but, I think that spring has to do with the govenor. Have you check your fuel pump? There is a short vacuum hose that runs from one of the cylinder heads that may be cracked or loose etc. At cranking speed, the lose of vacuum will create a shortage of fuel and take longer to start. Once it does start, the higher rpms will draw more fuel so it will run ok. gregjo1948

bdom

Threads
There is a spring on the governor arm which is outside the engine. The spring I am talking about is in the crankcase. I have disconnected the outflow hose to the fuel pump and cranked the engine and gas is pumped right out. The fuel pump is good.

bdom

Threads
The jury is in. The machine went into the shop. The experts found a working automatic compression release and a weak starter motor. The starter motor was replaced and the mower was fixed. Thanks to all who contributed.
Bill