Kawasaki FH661V Oil Pressure

DSteve1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having issues with my John Deere z810a with the kawasaki FH661V 22hp. Started throwing an oil light so I decided to just do an oil change. Light came back on after the change so I replaced the pressure switch. It came back on again so I did another oil change to a 15w-40 to see if that would work and it didn't. I feel like I have gone as far as google can get me, any advice or input?

I am checking the oil with the cap off the threads. Currently reading 4/5 bubbles on the stick.

txmowman

Threads
What is the oil pressure? Usually, the detect pressure for the switch is less than 14 psi or so. Oil weight won't matter much.
The threads to the ports where you might attach a gauge is 1/8" British pipe thread. Get the correct adaptor to prevent thread damage.

DSteve1

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the oil pressure? Usually, the detect pressure for the switch is less than 14 psi or so. Oil weight won't matter much.
The threads to the ports where you might attach a gauge is 1/8" British pipe thread. Get the correct adaptor to prevent thread damage.
Would I connect the gauge where the OPS would go? I just got a gauge so I was planning on doing that this afternoon.

txmowman

Threads
Would I connect the gauge where the OPS would go? I just got a gauge so I was planning on doing that this afternoon.
Yes, that would be a good place. Also, do not over torque it! Either by installing the gauge or reinstalling the OPS. If you over torque, you'll crack the crankcase and your game over!
All techs and DIY'ers keep this in mind. It's aluminum, use proper torque!!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Started throwing an oil light so I decided to just do an oil change.
As you found out, no cure. Probably needed this anyway.
It came back on again so I did another oil change to a 15w-40 to see if that would work and it didn't.
Typical American thinking. Book calls for vanilla. We scoup some strawberry.
I am checking the oil with the cap off the threads.
Correct for this engine. Park the stick on top of the tube threads when checking oil level.
Currently reading 4/5 bubbles on the stick.
Oil fanatic here. Keep the oil exactly on the full mark. Not over, nor under. We are talking about miniscule amounts of oil to keep her topped off proper.

Check oil pressure with an analog gauge. Use what ever port has oil pressure on it.
1662126056502.png

Like others mentioned, excessive torque is NOT required.

DSteve1

Forum Newbie
Threads
As you found out, no cure. Probably needed this anyway.

Typical American thinking. Book calls for vanilla. We scoup some strawberry.

Correct for this engine. Park the stick on top of the tube threads when checking oil level.

Oil fanatic here. Keep the oil exactly on the full mark. Not over, nor under. We are talking about miniscule amounts of oil to keep her topped off proper.

Check oil pressure with an analog gauge. Use what ever port has oil pressure on it.
View attachment 62086

Like others mentioned, excessive torque is NOT required.
Checked with a gauge. reading 25 at idle and 30 with blades on full speed and cutting. Should have left it on when it got hot because that seems to be when it lacks pressure. I can cut about 1/4 acre before it starts lighting up.

DSteve1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that would be a good place. Also, do not over torque it! Either by installing the gauge or reinstalling the OPS. If you over torque, you'll crack the crankcase and your game over!
All techs and DIY'ers keep this in mind. It's aluminum, use proper torque!!
Checked with a gauge. reading 25 at idle and 30 with blades on full speed and cutting. Should have left it on when it got hot because that seems to be when it lacks pressure. I can cut about 1/4 acre before it starts lighting up.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd be looking at the cooling system to see if it is functioning right. What type day time temperatures are we talking this is happening in?

txmowman

Threads
That should be sufficient oil pressure for no light activation. Likely a bad switch. You can unhook it and be rid of it, as long as you keep your oil full and check regularly. Or, replace the switch after also confirming the wires and connectors in the circuit.

txmowman

Threads
I'd be looking at the cooling system to see if it is functioning right. What type day time temperatures are we talking this is happening in?
Cooling system would not have an effect on oil pressure.