Kawasaki FH-601V

mullins87

Threads
I have a 2000 John Deere 335 with a Kawasaki FH601V in it, I'm sorry I don't have the series at the moment. I have a question for the techs that have experience with this engine. The engine has just shy of 1,500 hours on it. I'm not the original owner, but was told the engine has never been opened up and therefore is all factory. This summer, if the ambient temps are over 80-85 and I have been running the engine for at least 20 minutes, the oil pressure light will come on if I idle it down. The light will go back off as soon as I rev it up. I am running 30w in it already. I have not put a pressure gauge on it yet, but I will sometime soon before I go to the next step.

With 1,500 hours on it, I'm thinking a complete refresh would not be a bad thing, eventhough it runs like it has 500 hours on it. I've been looking at a liquid cooled 26 hp FD731V-BS07 to replace it. I can get a brand new one for just under a grand plus shipping. Three issues will have to be worked out, engine height, muffler connection and shaft diameter. This new engine has a 1 1/8" diameter shaft. The FH601V may or may not have that size shaft as I have seen them listed as both 1" and 1 1/8", depending on which series I have. Instead of replacing the engine, a complete rebuild is also an option. I found a "complete" rebuild kit with pistons, rings, all gaskets and a few other parts for just over $150. Since the oil pressure is an issue, looks like I can replace the oil pump gears for less than $20.

Since the oil pressure is the issue, and now that you've read this far, finally here is my question.... Do these engines have automotive style sleeve bearings on the crank and rods where they ride on a film of oil created by the viscosity of the oil, or do they have roller bearings? I cannot find anything in the parts diagrams that I have found online.

Thank you for your help.

Threads
They have neither. The rod and endcap are totally aluminum and they bolt to crank there are no bearings

mullins87

Threads
So what you are telling me is that when they wear out, there is no bearing to replace, you buy new parts. Are the engine casings the same way? And if they are, what are the specs for the crank and casings?

mullins87

Threads
Okay, where is the engine information tag/label? I have been all over that engine and can't find it anywhere.