Kawasaki Doesn't always wanna run

jakesmurray

Threads
Alright guys, I finally got around to checking the compression on the Kawasaki. The mower is 30 miles from me, so I am not near it all the time. Anyway, the compression reading was 30 psi. I researched and ofund that this engine needs at least 43 to start, so 30 is way too low. I do have a theory though...
During the summer, the engine ran great and fired up every week. Now that it is getting cold (20s and 30s at night), it is acting up. Is it possible that the air in the cylinder is contracting from the cold and causing it to have less compression? During the summer it was in the 100s around here, so the air would expand, causing more compression. This would make sense to me as to why it seems to want to start better on the warmer days.
Nevertheless, I do think I have some worn rings, or a collapsed ring, so I believe the fix would be an overhaul. Can you guys confirm or deny this?
Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rings are a definite possibility, but not the only possible problem. Could be a sticking valve or a head gasket. Each of these would be affected by engine temp. You could test the rings by squirting a small amount of oil into the cylinder and then retaking the compression test. If the compression goes up, you know that the rings are part of the problem. A valve that is sticking, could get worse in the cold, as the lubricant does not allow it to move as freely. Your head gasket may have finally shown itself in the cold and finally blown. The only way I know to find out which one is the cause, with out tearing into the engine, is to do a cylinder leak down test. Otherwise you are going to have to start disaasembly to find the problem.