Kawasaki blowing smoke intermittenly, burning oil

577jersey

Threads
Did u replace the reed valve,,I never replaced mine just used a small reservoir to collect oil and dump it back in?
The reed valve should be pretty cheap I would think as long as its still available.

mhavanti

Threads
Pressure moving past the rings will always push compression into the pan, thus it is trying to escape thru the venting tube. One thing you can do to make an engine make both more torque and more horse power, not to mention easier revolutions per minute is to run your vent tube to the exhaust with an anti-blowback valve from a late 70s to early 90s Ford exhaust.

I began doing that in the mid eighties on my race engines and the dyno would show from 1 to 4 percent horsepower increase across the rpm ranges. Torque would increase on the bottom end (where a lawnmower engine operates) about 4 percent from 1750 to 5500 rpm. High end of the revs would make it up to low tens with the 3 inch stroke engines and upper nines with the 3 1/2 inch stroke engines.

That is huge numbers by only adding two valves and never used a new valve. Cost, free, adding a pair of 3/4 inch long 90 degree metal tubes, used materials, cost, free, 8 feet of 3/4 inch water hose, $2.40. Labor, what's that? We're going racing.

At any length, you can vent your valve cover to your exhaust which causes a low pressure (negative pressure) in the oil pan. It would take you a short time and a bit of fabrication and that would pay for itself in a short while.

If you have smoke after adding the venting system, you be got ring problems for sure. Follow all advice previously given by Bert for the freshen up and the venting system will be in place and paying you in gasoline savings.

How's that for learning some techie stuff on a Tuesday?

577jersey

Threads
Wonder what would happen if you relocated that breather up higher than the air filter,,get a longer piece of hose and zip tie it up as high as you can and put a small fuel filter on the end of it....the pressure might not be enough to push the oil up that high...just an idea to keep ya cuttin thats all.

arch252

Threads
I checked the reed valve and set the gap at .003 per the service manual so i don't suspect that has anything to do with it.

arch252

Threads
I don't mid it being down, I have a backup, I just want to know what's wrong and make it right.

577jersey

Threads
Yeah,I would like to know also,,I never found out what was wrong with mine,,it runs so good the way it is I just run it...I do know it started happening after the mower was 6ft under flooded river water for 24 hours..lol..these kawis are awesome engines!!!

mhavanti

Threads
You would have oil all over the place. lol

577jersey

Threads
Yeah well if oil started pumping out that wouldnt be good..unless it was a harley,,you could put the hose above the chain drive and keep the chain oiled..lmao!!! JK

mhavanti

Threads
My '57 Panhead hardtail always leaked oil on the rear jug. It kept the chain lubed and my left pant leg soaked. lol

577jersey

Threads
Yeah,,it was just marking its territory :)