Kawaaski FR651V - FX air box conversion

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I'll definitely take their decal off since this is going an outlaw mower club rig! funny.gif

txmowman

Threads
Sir, have you even read the engine warranty statement that came with your mower? My bet is that you tossed it and the owners manual in the trash the day you bought it! Modifications to the engine void your warranty with Kawasaki. Furthermore, modifying the engine in a way that changes the emissions is an EPA violation. A lot of posters on this forum poo poo that because they are shade tree wannabe mechanics. If you feel you need the added filtration then you bought the wrong mower model.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If using OEM conversion kit parts I don't see how that voids the warranty as it will provide better filtration but DIYer do haphazardly convert these to the HD filter system. The FR filter does clog easier and the filter covers before the latest version tend to break off. And FR design being used on ZTR is just asking for the filters
to be clogged easily too. So if EPA can prove that these makes the emissions worst by having a filter that filters better and stays cleaner longer then so be it. But in my opinion a filter that clogs easily will produce more emissions over the lifetime of the engine.

Here is a couple of the conversion using Kawasaki parts.
1709723072060.png1709723109427.png
Due Kawasaki changes some of parts maybe different from these but give you the idea how the FR to FX filter change out looks.

I haven't done any as most of my customers are too cheap to have it done.

txmowman

Threads
Hey @StarTech, this is not an OEM kit. The kit is not available from Kawasaki. Even if it is made up of OEM parts, it still is not an OEM kit. For answers on emissions, I would recommend you contact the EPA.

What you wrote about customers being too cheap, you are spot on. That is why we are having thos conversation. Customers don’t want to do their part but love to cry warranty.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I didn't say it was a standard kit from Kawasaki USA but is a kit using OEM Kawasaki parts. May left that impression. But I have a list of the required parts that can be ordered thru the distributor for Kawasaki parts. These kits are readily available in Australia from multiple vendors.

I think the reason Kawasaki doesn't make these as kit is multiple reasons. One of which is the lack of demand and that they prefer selling the more expensive FX engines. If the actual demand was there then they might put together the kits. Meanwhile I just order the OEM parts and assemble the kits here. I might start selling those kits via eBay soon, just haven't decided on it yet.

Contacting the EPA is like getting the IRS to correct a simple problem that has prevented me cashing my refund checks since 2019. I just got in another $2000+ check that I had return as I can't cash it at my bank. And I not going to forge it and risk the $10,000 or ten years in prison. At least they keep on adding interest to what is owed. 5% interest is a lot better than my bank's 0.5% interest.

Besides I have contacted the EPA about a local business that burning unsorted imported construction waste and they did absolutely nothing about it. The business does have a permit to burn their own wood waste but not waste imported. Someone is paying off the local EPA inspector well. There have been days that I could not even see the neighbor's house for smoke when the wind is blowing my way.

Our national government is currently mostly non functional.

Last edited:

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Sir, have you even read the engine warranty statement that came with your mower? My bet is that you tossed it and the owners manual in the trash the day you bought it! Modifications to the engine void your warranty with Kawasaki. Furthermore, modifying the engine in a way that changes the emissions is an EPA violation. A lot of posters on this forum poo poo that because they are shade tree wannabe mechanics. If you feel you need the added filtration then you bought the wrong mower model.

This filter housing simply provides better filtration and does not change the air / fuel ratio at all so this is no EPA violation at all... it's just better air filtration that catches mo dirt which is better for the health of my engine which comes first.

I'll be keeping the original parts so if there was a warranty issue I'll simply put the OE parts back on before taking it to the dealer. They won't know the difference if it came to that and since this filter housing is not going to wrack anything it's a non-issue.

For answers on emissions, I would recommend you contact the EPA.

Contacting them for anything just puts a target on your back because they'll note that you have not gone all electric therefore they'll put you and your cattle on their environmental terrorist watch list! clueless-doh.gif

Our national government is currently mostly non functional.

Exactly. Best thing to do is not get involved.

Last edited:

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I found out that the air box kit consists of OEM Kawasaki parts... the only thing this guy made was the bracket.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Mine has a custom metal bracket that bolts in to the holes
where the door hinge bolts go so it'll be strong and sturdy thumbsup2.gif

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mine has a custom metal bracket that bolts in to the holes
where the door hinge bolts go so it'll be strong and sturdy View attachment 67974
I just don't how long the plastic engine shroud is going to hold up to the vibrations and the weight of the Donaldson air cleaner. Really depends on use and what smacks the air cleaner.

The conversion kit that I have PNs for include the new metal engine shroud from the FX engine. It also provide better air flow over the cylinder fin and ignition coils.

Either the 59066-7061-753 or 59066-0831 depending which engine it is. Now of that adds another $120+ (my cost) to the kit price.