Kaw fh580v smokes black and surges-hunts

Red Good

Threads
Fresh complete rebuilt motor . Rods , pistons , hones , crankshaft , all of it done by
experienced mechanic .

txmowman

Threads
It is unusual for an engine to surge and blow black smoke. Surging is either a lack of sufficient fuel flow or governor adjustment. If you grab the throttle shaft or throttle link or governor arm (whichever can be done safely), can you control the surge? If so, you have a governor/adjustment issue.
The sooty plugs is due to enough fuel but not enough air to properly atomize the fuel.
With all the cheap replacement carburetors I see for sale on eBay, I want to confirm that you bought a genuine Kawasaki replacement? Would you please provide the part number?
FH580V uses an internally vented carburetor, so the issue likely would be the carburetor or the gaskets. Did you replace the insulator gaskets with genuine Kawasaki? Any presence of fuel in the oil?

Red Good

Threads
Yes I did , 200 something to me . Latest , pulled bottom cover off , pushrods out , checked cam timing right on both dots , Measured the cam lobes all the same within a fraction of a mm , anyone know what they should be exactly ? . measured the lifter stools all exactly the same . Pushrods are all the same length. Motor has 125 psi both holes . Pulled the intake to be sure I didn t leave a rag in it as it was apart waiting for gaskets for quite a while , nothing there right to the valves both sides . Checked the governor balls , all correct and in place . What the heck am I missing .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Black smoke is excessive fuel. You already said you pinch down the fuel line and the engine clears up. You were on to something there........

Either your fuel pump is overwhelming the needle or the choke is not adjusted proper. I asked you to pressure test the carb needle, Heard nothing back from you.

Is your choke plate opening ALL the way?

You keep responding with good answers but you still are not cutting grass. Something got missed in this total rebuild.

New parts as in your new OEM carb REQUIRE testing before ruling them out as operational. New doesn't mean new anymore. Your new carb could very well be a Chinese clone. ????

Carb linkages fouled up? You need to follow the Kawi engine manual when adjusting them to a T.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes I did , 200 something to me . Latest , pulled bottom cover off , pushrods out , checked cam timing right on both dots , Measured the cam lobes all the same within a fraction of a mm , anyone know what they should be exactly ? . measured the lifter stools all exactly the same . Pushrods are all the same length. Motor has 125 psi both holes . Pulled the intake to be sure I didn t leave a rag in it as it was apart waiting for gaskets for quite a while , nothing there right to the valves both sides . Checked the governor balls , all correct and in place . What the heck am I missing .
Your buddy must be getting one heck of a discount as the following what my distributor charges.
1660164745778.png
With a list of
1660164870865.png

Red Good

Threads
Kawi box for the kawi part number I ordered from kawi dealer not distributor . Price wont help it run . Does anyone know or have access to the cam lobe specs . All 4 of mine measure right at 30 mm is this correct ? Pushrod stools are good no wear marks at all , pushrods are all the same length and none are bent . ball ends all look perfect no galling anywhere . ?????????????????

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
When an engine surges and blows black smoke it is because of a fuel to air issue, or timing. Plug the fuel line, or pinch it off and see if the engine speeds up. If it does then it is the float needle leaking or excessive fuel pressure. If it doesn't until it starts to run out of fuel then it is a metering problem. Bad fuel can cause it too. So can a defective ignition system. Where is the "experienced" mechanic who rebuilt it? Why isn't he troubleshooting this problem, instead leaving it in your lap?

Red Good

Threads
I am he . lolololol How does the carb vent the bowl to atmosphere , thru the body or to the intake ?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When an engine surges and blows black smoke it is because of a fuel to air issue, or timing. Plug the fuel line, or pinch it off and see if the engine speeds up. If it does then it is the float needle leaking or excessive fuel pressure. If it doesn't until it starts to run out of fuel then it is a metering problem. Bad fuel can cause it too. So can a defective ignition system. Where is the "experienced" mechanic who rebuilt it? Why isn't he troubleshooting this problem, instead leaving it in your lap?
He's not listening to any of us. Concerned about cam bucket length and pushrod ends.

Getting a feeling there are a lot of fisherman out there.