Karcher 159cc Engine Won't Start

boxofrox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mods - forgive me for posting this here. I did not know where else to put it?

I have a Karcher power washer that will not start. I have confirmed spark. It will not fire even if starting fluid is squirted into the cylinder.

I checked compression and I have 55psi. That sounds low to me, but it is it enough that it should at least pop? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Born2Mow

Threads
Gas, Fire, Compression. Those are the Big 3. You found one of those. Go find the other 2.

boxofrox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I have 3. I have gas and fire. I just don't know if I have enough compression. I can't find a spec for this engine as to what is normal.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
since most small engines have an automatic compression relief you won't get an accurate reading, however, I've tested some Briggs and Stratton quantum engines (190cc) that showed about 58-60 psi that ran. took about 2 or 3 pulls to start though.
It could be your flywheel key sheared and is throwing off ignition timing.

boxofrox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Scrubcadet10. I forgot about the compression release.

I will try some more before I dig into things deeper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the flywheel nut / bolt off & check the timing key is intact .
The 2 halves of the slot must meet to make a perfect square .

boxofrox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got back to this. I pulled the flywheel and the key looks fine to my eyes.

I have a strong spark. I checked compression again and it is 55psi. How do I defeat the compression release so I can see what the actual compression is?

Attachments

• 20210424_160133.jpg
    20210424_160133.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 2

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
that is generally done by widening the valve clearance so the ACR bump does not open the valve.

boxofrox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got it. In the beginning I had squirted some WD40 into the spark plug hole to see if it would fire. It didn't, but I went down a rabbit hole after that..

This morning I sprayed starting fluid into the air cleaner and it fired right up. When I disassembled the carburetor I found that the main jet was completely clogged with dirt. The whole bowl looked like it was coated with very fine sand.

Cleaned everything, buttoned it up - and it starts on the first pull every time and runs great.

Thanks guys for the help with this.