K&N Style Air Filter

Brucebotti

Threads
Has anyone switched to a K&N (or similar) style air filter? I was looking at one for my Kawasaki FR691V. They are about twice the price of the OEM filter, but will last forever. I have used them on several autos, and also on my Sears SS12, and then on my just retired Craftsman mower. I have never experienced any issues with them in the past 30-40 years. My only concern is whether it will affect the warrantee. I will probably hold off until the warrantee is up.
Thanks,
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads
I'm surprised....nobody uses a K&N (or similar) air filter?
Thanks,
Bruce

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run them on all my mowers.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Brucebotti

Threads
I run them on all my mowers.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw,
With the price of air filters and the abuse they take, it seems logical, as long as I can find one that fits. On my old Sears SS12 and my Craftsman GT, I found ones from harley's that fit. They cost me $30-35 each, compared to a $12-15 paper filter. The only thing I am concerned about is the warrantee, althogh this shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks,
Bruce

tuit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see those K&N type filters all the time, I turn wrenches at a Ford dealership. All those type filters are good for is keeping things like bugs and rocks out of intake/carburetor. I regularly see diesel turbo chargers which pulls in filtered air have 1/8 inch deep oil soaked dirt inside the turbo charger compressor housing inlet and the fins inside worn down smooth from the dirt sand blasting them off.
If there is dirt past the air filter, Its called a dusted engine. Warranty will not cover/pay for that repair since it was not the fault of their part. That's some of the problems that you get into by trying to save money by not using manufactures parts. People don't realize that also applies to their cars.
Good rule of thumb is if you can see day light thru the filter, dirt/dust will pass thru it.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see those K&N type filters all the time, I turn wrenches at a Ford dealership. All those type filters are good for is keeping things like bugs and rocks out of intake/carburetor. I regularly see diesel turbo chargers which pulls in filtered air have 1/8 inch deep oil soaked dirt inside the turbo charger compressor housing inlet and the fins inside worn down smooth from the dirt sand blasting them off. Good rule of thumb is if you can see day light thru the filter, dirt/dust will pass thru it.

Its just so much better to use the oem paper filters in cars they are cheap and don't even have to be changed that often... 10 to 25 k miles. I knew someone who said he like the k&n because it keeps water out betterand drys I just told him if you have that much water near your intake you have bigger problems lol

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem is not the K&N filter on a car a truck or a mower the problem is the owner thinks you just put the filter on and forget about it.
You need to keep it washed and oiled. The small dust and or dirt gets trapped by the oil.
It's like anything else it's only has good has the person using it.

If K&N filters were not good to use then why would the shop that built my $30.000 engine tell me to use one

I also use K&N oil filters The only oil filter a machine shop says not to use is a Fram

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem is not the K&N filter on a car a truck or a mower the problem is the owner thinks you just put the filter on and forget about it.
You need to keep it washed and oiled. The small dust and or dirt gets trapped by the oil.

If K&N filters were not good to use then why would the shop that built my $30.000 engine tell me to use one

I also use K&N oil filters The only oil filter a machine shop says not to use is a Fram

Lol fram.... I've heard sooooooo many storys about them I vowed nothing with the label fram is ever going to touch anything I own.

Brucebotti

Threads

I agree. The only problems that I have ever heard were due to operator / user error. I have had very good luck with them.
Bruce