Just clicks

jeffnang

Threads
Lately my tiger cub has been failing to crank over. However if you peck on the top of the starter, it does. Is it starter rebuild time?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am assuming that the click you are hearing is the starter solenoid?? Is the starter solenoid a separate part or part of the starter motor?
Could be, but I would remove the starter, clean the areas where it makes contact with the engine crankcase as the starter grounds at these spots. When you disconnect the starter positive cable, check to see if it is loose. I would also check the battery ground cable and the other grounds that are connected to one of the engine mounting bolts. This area can be problematic in time and the connections and terminals need to be inspected, cleaned or replaced sometimes.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

ottoslanding

Threads
Lately my tiger cub has been failing to crank over. However if you peck on the top of the starter, it does. Is it starter rebuild time?

:2cents:

I would start with the easiest and cheapest thing. Battery and it's connections. You could begin by metering the battery. If the voltage is low, it can move that solenoid but there isn't enough oomph to turn that starter. You tapping on it can loosen it just enough to set it free.

I would disconnect(negative first) and charge the battery and while it was doing that I would clean all the connections. A battery terminal brush comes in handy. When I finish cleaning the battery terminals I use a red spray that is supposed to keep corrosion away from the terminals. You can find it in the battery section at walmart or any store that sells car batteries.

Lastly, find where the ground cable(black negative) is connected at the end away from the battery and disconnect it and clean that area real good. Again, shiny metal on the end of the cable and it's contact point. A little emery cloth works good. Add a thin coat of dielectric grease and reconnect.

After the battery is charged fully, reconnect the battery, positive first and negative last, and give it a try.

Once you get it running you should check the charging system for proper voltage. Normally for a car you should read 13.8 to 14.8 volts after you initially start as the charging takes place and that can will fall off after the initial charge. If it is too low you may need to look further to see if your alternator is working properly or perhaps a connection issue.

Hth

:cool2:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The solenoid is part of the starter, so yes it may well be time to service it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most Scag electric start machines have a cranking circuit relay which is usually located close to the key switch. This relay, when all the safety circuits are in line for engine cranking, is grounded by the electronic control module which then sends electricity to the start solenoid which will send high amperage to the starter motor which when it turns will spin the bendix gear (starting gear) out to engage and turn the flywheel.
This relay can sometimes be problematic I have replaced this relay on several machines, mine included.
On an engine with a solenoid/starter motor combination, the solenoid has a dual purpose as it is a switch for the high amperage to the starter(similar to the remote solenoid) and an electromagnet to move the starting gear to engage the flywheel, however still initiated by the cranking circuit relay.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

ottoslanding

Threads
Most Scag electric start machines have a cranking circuit relay which is usually located close to the key switch. This relay, when all the safety circuits are in line for engine cranking, is grounded by the electronic control module which then sends electricity to the start solenoid which will send high amperage to the starter motor which when it turns will spin the bendix gear (starting gear) out to engage and turn the flywheel.
This relay can sometimes be problematic I have replaced this relay on several machines, mine included.
On an engine with a solenoid/starter motor combination, the solenoid has a dual purpose as it is a switch for the high amperage to the starter(similar to the remote solenoid) and an electromagnet to move the starting gear to engage the flywheel, however still initiated by the cranking circuit relay.
Mad Mackie in CT

That is some great info. I'm archiving that in my scag library.

:dance1:

When you rule out the basic battery and connections that is the next troubleshooting door I would open.

A new starter is the last thing I would mess with.

:2cents:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To pinpoint whether you have a starter or relay problem try this test. Take a heavy jump lead and connect one end to the large terminal on the solenoid, which is connected to the battery. Touch the other end of the jump lead to the small terminal on the solenoid. What you are doing is bypassing the starting circuit. If the starter spins out and engages the flywheel, you know that the starter is doing it's job and you must look at the rest of the starting circuit. If the starter does not spin, you have a solenoid/starter problem.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Rivets and group,
I sometimes hesitate to mention jumping directly to the starter as one person that I suggested this to blamed me for burning up the positive terminal on his starter motor. He was over 1,000 miles away from me but wanted me to buy him a new starter motor as he claimed that I gave him bad advice!!! Oh well!!!!
I have a jumper cable setup that has crimped on ring terminals on one end and clamps on the other end, offset so they don't touch each other. I connect the negative ring terminal to the negative battery terminal on the machine in question, remove the positive terminal from the starter motor and connect the positive ring terminal to the starter and with the clamps, jump it with a separate battery to check out the starter motor.
Rivets, were you able to get the Onan flywheel that you were looking for a while back??
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That must have been the guy that said his employee ruined the engine on his push mower, because she was mowing too fast. Should Not have been allowed to fix engine or anything else. I've never had a problem direct jumping a starter, except for a few extra sparks.

Yes, I did find a flywheel at the gentleman you suggested, but the customer decided that he couldn't swing that amount of money. Just paid for the evaluation and estimate and said he would look on his own. I just said good luck, but he may be spending a lot more money down the road, if he does find one.