John DeereZ960R with MOD Deck

Lasor1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I read your write up on the Z960R. You were fair and pointed out the pros & cons. You made some good points about the Mod deck and talked about it shortcomings. I liked how you did side by side comparing the cuts. You said that they did what JD said they would and your dealer is helping you, which is getting hard to find now a days. I think your white up was very good, good facts. But thats just me. P.S. I read one of the posts that was removed.

Hello there I just wanted to say I have. A. 920m with a 54" cut. I recently purchased and absolutely love it. The 900r series are sweet. There a little out of my price range.lol I notice you were saying about the power. Of the 2 hp difference is. I'd love to test drive a 31hp 960 anyway I have. The Kawasaki 23.5 up on my ztrak920m and I mowed 2.5 week old grass at 3.5" setting on deck and no bogging here on that little motor only bogged down a little going up a steep section I have to mow if I nail down on it. I am impressed with my mower and I was set on exmark till I seen the guy that I had mowing my lawn till I purchased my zt. His is a z930m with mod 60" deck it cut so nice. But he didn't close chute. On his mod. Anyway these things are built like tanks my local dealer was a whole lot more helpfull than my local exmark and that is why I choose deere. And I am glad I did!

Nwatson99

Threads
Congrats on your Z920M, those are very nice machines and yes the JD ZTrak mowers are built like tanks, plus the 31HP is a beast on my machine. LOL
I mow at 3.25" setting and can go through two week old grass like it was just cut a few days ago, stick with your high lift blades also them seem to be the best for our machines.
Now when I stated mowing my pond dam it took a couple of passes to get tuned in with the power, this machine will jerk the wheels off the ground with little effort and stand up to look at the sky with almost no effort on my pond dam.

Lasor1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello there I just wanted to say I have. A. 920m with a 54" cut. I recently purchased and absolutely love it. The 900r series are sweet. There a little out of my price range.lol I notice you were saying about the power. Of the 2 hp difference is. I'd love to test drive a 31hp 960 anyway I have. The Kawasaki 23.5 up on my ztrak920m and I mowed 2.5 week old grass at 3.5" setting on deck and no bogging here on that little motor only bogged down a little going up a steep section I have to mow if I nail down on it. I am impressed with my mower and I was set on exmark till I seen the guy that I had mowing my lawn till I purchased my zt. His is a z930m with mod 60" deck it cut so nice. But he didn't close chute. On his mod. Anyway these things are built like tanks my local dealer was a whole lot more helpfull than my local exmark and that is why I choose deere. And I am glad I did!

Hey I have a question for you since. You have been around ztraks for a while. I know you said you mow at 3.25 and. I mow at 3.5 have you adjusted your anti scalp wheels on your 7 iron pro deck? Mine is set at highest hole on my deck and that's the way it came from dealer. Didn't know if I should drop them or leave them up thanks!

Nwatson99

Threads
Hey I have a question for you since. You have been around ztraks for a while. I know you said you mow at 3.25 and. I mow at 3.5 have you adjusted your anti scalp wheels on your 7 iron pro deck? Mine is set at highest hole on my deck and that's the way it came from dealer. Didn't know if I should drop them or leave them up thanks!

Yes I would drop them down to the center hole, it is just added protection.
Our decks float anyway, but with your wheel being that high you can scalp your place if you hit a hump just right since you wheels will not engage to prevent it.

Crewsn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I've been following this thred since I have a Z960R as well with MOD deck. My problem is that it is leaving a trail of grass clippings down each row as I mow. I'm cutting once a week at 3.25 height and have a very thick dark green fescue turf grass. Dealer says they will do that on if the grass is damp or wet at all. My grass is thick and green and as such has moisture in the grass when you cut it. Dealer does not know what else to do. I'm considering adding the brush striping kit to see if it will help smooth out any left over clippings but they are quoting $440.00 to add the kit. Has anybody tried this? I'm also loosing traction on the side of my hillside and they say they don't have a replacement tire to stop that. When it starts to go, it locks rear tires and slides taking my turf with it.