Mower deck John Deere Z465 Deck Issue

Baytown

Forum Newbie
Threads
G'day everyone from Ken in Australia.
I own a JD Z 465 Zero Turn with a 62 inch deck, machine has 35 hours on it.
On the right hand lower trailing edge of the deck is a curved strip of steel approx 12 inches in length and attached with 5 bolts, following the radius of the rear deck. It is only on that side.
It keeps bending at right angles from the first 4 inches, due to contact with rocks, roots etc (even though the deck is set at 3 1/2 as a minimum on the height lever. it also tears up the turf.
My question is, can I remove this strip with out damaging the deck? I don't know if it is used for reinforcing the lip of the deck on that side (due to sag?), or helping with rigidity.
Any way, any advice re this is appreciated.

Best wishes.

Ken

jenkinsph

Threads
Not being familiar with this particular deck it is hard to give you a good answer, but I do know that most manufacturers wont spend the money for steel without a reason. I suspect it is needed for proper air flow, just a hunch.

Really a mower deck can't be expected to hold up if you are hanging up on rocks and or stumps. You will eventually tear up the whole deck. It is best to clear the mowing area with a landscape rake or by hand. In rough areas I simply cut with the blade fully raised which for me is about five inches.