John Deere S120 scalp wheels adjusting?

Rideordie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I bought a 2021 JD S120 riding lawn mower that was delivered to my house by the local dealer (Atlantic Tractor) at the end of May. The guy dropped it off and little info. was given except a DVD and a booklet. SCALP WHEELS. In the manual it states that the mower deck can be damaged if mower wheels are adjusted wrong. I'm cutting at 3 inches and the scalp wheels CAME adjusted to the top hole which is for 1.5 in. or less. For 3 in. the booklet shows the bottom hole. I couldn't get the bolt and nut off to adjust it so I called Atlantic Tractor and the woman in the Service Dept. 1) didn't understand what I read to her from the booklet and 2) kept repeating that when they delivered the lawn mower, the settings would have been correct (which according to the booklet they AREN'T). So, can anyone tell me if damage can be done if the scalp wheels aren't adjusted? As it stands, the scalp wheels sit at the highest level so when the deck is engaged for mowing, the wheels are way off the ground. Thanks for your time and any suggestions.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have the dealer come pick up the mower.

What is a DVD? Oh I remember those.

Why don't you, move the bolt to the correct hole? If you don't have the tools or physically can't for health reasons, you might look at getting a lawn service.

slomo

D

Deleted member 97405

Simple rule of thumb for scalp wheels. When you lower the deck to your desired cutting height, the wheels should be 1/2-1 inch off the ground or as close to that range as you can get. Their only purpose is to keep the deck from scalping the ground on uneven terrain or to roll over roots to prevent the blades from hitting. I work at a dealership. We usually let the homeowner adjust the gauge wheels according to what cutting height they desire. Hope this helps!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably done up with a rattle gun
Beg, borrow or buy one to undo the bolts.
Get local handyman to come & undo the bolts for you
Buy your parts from another dealer and send the dealer you bought it from a photcopy every time with a note you would have bought them from him if he had listened & provided the help you needed.
Also tell him you are going to rag him every chance you can to every one you know & advise them to go some where else to buy their mowers.

Lots of dealerships are owned or managed by accountants so deserve to go broke .