John Deere Or Cub Cadet?

Sichuan

Threads
I'm going to buy a new lawn tractor this Spring and I've narrowed my decision down to two brands, two models for each brand.

I've been researching John Deere 100 Series lawn tractors for quite some time. I realize that they are good mowers but the fuel tanks are too small and I've read an abundance of comments concerning trouble with the hydrostatic transmissions before and just after the warranty expires. The two year, 200 hours warranty seems a little thin to me.

I've also done a lot of online research on the 2015 Cub Cadet models. I don't particularly care for the boxy shape of the front of these Cub Cadet models but I do favor the Kohler V-Twin engines. I believe that the hydrostatic transmissions in the two models I've researched could possibly be the same (produced by the same company but not necessarily the same model #) as those in the two John Deere models. I like the larger fuel tank on the Cub Cadets.

I know that the John Deere models I'm looking at are either assembled or made somewhere in Tennessee and that the Cub Cadet models are either assembled or made in Cleveland, Ohio. I know that Cub Cadets is owned by MTD. I've read good and bad reviews for both companies, which is to be expected. I think the John Deere is probably of a higher quality than Cub Cadet but I don't particularly care for B&S engines. The four models I'm considering all have V-Twin engines but I believe John Deere has B&S make engines for them that are either better or stronger than the standard B&S engines. I've always preferred Kohler over B&S. The Troy-Bilt riding mower I had in the nineties had a Kohler engine and I was quite impressed with both the mower and the engine. However, it seems that Troy-Bilt has gone downhill since being bought out of bankruptcy proceedings by MTD and yes, as i previously mentioned, I'm aware that Cub Cadets and several other brands are owned and produced by MTD.

These are the models I'm comparing:

John Deere D140 Versus
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic

John Deere D155 Versus
XT1 Enduro Series LT 50 in. 24 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic

I've had trouble trying to discover which model hydrostatic transmissions the Deere models come with. I realize that all four of these models are sold in "Big Box" stores and that they are in the lower price range, where "you get what you pay for" applies. However, I will purchase the John Deere from my local John Deere dealer or the Cub Cadet from my local Tractor Supply dealer. It's a matter of service, you know.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided. I appreciate it very much. I'm leaning toward one of the John Deere models, inferior warranty and transmission problems be damned.

mowerman05

Threads
I was thinking cub cadet all the way through your post until you said Deere will come from a Deere dealer. I would say about the same but better service if the Deere dealer is customer friendly.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say buy which color you like the best. As far as the two tractors go I would think they are both equal as far as quality go's.

Sichuan

Threads
I was thinking cub cadet all the way through your post until you said Deere will come from a Deere dealer. I would say about the same but better service if the Deere dealer is customer friendly.

Thank you for your prompt reply, mowerman. I appreciate it very much. I think that any of the four models I mentioned would be comparable to each other. As I mentioned, I don't particularly care for the boxy front end of the Cub Cadet but then again, the reviews of the two 2015 model year Cub Cadet models are positive for the most part. Of course, I'm aware that we won't really know until a few years down the road. I really like the John Deere models but the skimpy warranty and two gallon fuel tank are what's holding me back on Deere. Perhaps if the local Deere dealer would throw in a free front bumper for the D140 it would make me lean more heavily in Deere's direction. I really like the new 2015 JD D155 with the ELS engine but I can't seem to nail down the model transmission it uses. I can't find the information anywhere. I think I'll just call my local JD dealer for the answer. If the JD D155, which includes a front bumper, uses the Kanzaki Tuff Torq T40 or another model other than the K46 I would without a doubt go for it. I'm also holding back on the two Cub Cadets because of the Tuff Torq K46 transmissions but the larger fuel tank and the three year, unlimited hours warranty is keeping me interested. I would buy the Cub Cadet from my local Tractor Supply because I value good service, which you won't get from a Big Box store. In any event, I intend to use my lawn tractor for mowing and dethatching only and an occasional picking up of fallen (small) tree branches. My lawn is only one half acre but I'm going with a model larger than my needs so that I can get a V-Twin engine for longer life and smoother operation. The Kohler V-Twin engines in the Cub Cadet models is a big plus for me as I don't particularly care for B&S engines although I will admit that they seem to be fairly dependable from past experience. Both Kohler and B&S use cast iron cylinder sleeves and seem to have good air cleaning and oil pressure systems.

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Sichuan

Threads
I would say buy which color you like the best. As far as the two tractors go I would think they are both equal as far as quality go's.

Thank you for your reply, reynoldston. I appreciate it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like the XT Enduro is a new model. Working for dealers I have found through the years that its a good idea to keep away from new models till they get all the bugs worked out. I have found that manufactures like to experiment with the public. Just my finding???

Sichuan

Threads
It looks like the XT Enduro is a new model. Working for dealers I have found through the years that its a good idea to keep away from new models till they get all the bugs worked out. I have found that manufactures like to experiment with the public. Just my finding???

I agree, Mike. Both of the Cub Cadet models I mentioned are new for 2015 but it's the Kohler engine that I'm finding hard to pass up. I wish JD would offer the Kohler V-Twin as an option. The Kohler, single cylinder engine in the Troy-Bilt lawn tractor I gave my ex-wife in the early nineties is still going strong with no repairs to date. That's over twenty years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree, Mike. Both of the Cub Cadet models I mentioned are new for 2015 but it's the Kohler engine that I'm finding hard to pass up. I wish JD would offer the Kohler V-Twin as an option. The Kohler, single cylinder engine in the Troy-Bilt lawn tractor I gave my ex-wife in the early nineties is still going strong with no repairs to date. That's over twenty years.

Now you are talking early 90's. I will take a guess that is a Kohler magnum? That engine was made to last. I will take another guess that the new Cub Cadet has a Kohler courage? Two complete different engines. I am not saying anything bad here about Kohler but also I think that Briggs makes a good engine also. Also its saying the John Deere D155 has a Kohler in it? I will still say buy what you like the best, maybe sit on them and see which one feels the most comfortable. As far as repairs go I get both John Deere and Cud Cadet in my shop and as I see it they both have about the same quality.

Sichuan

Threads
Now you are talking early 90's. I will take a guess that is a Kohler magnum? That engine was made to last. I will take another guess that the new Cub Cadet has a Kohler courage? Two complete different engines. I am not saying anything bad here about Kohler but also I think that Briggs makes a good engine also. Also its saying the John Deere D155 has a Kohler in it? I will still say buy what you like the best, maybe sit on them and see which one feels the most comfortable. As far as repairs go I get both John Deere and Cud Cadet in my shop and as I see it they both have about the same quality.

Hey reynoldston,

The name Magnum sounds familiar and that is probably what it has. I'm going to do some more research on the Kohler Courage because I've seen it mentioned in several discussions. I agree that B&S makes good engines and I believe the B&S engines in the JD 100 series are custom made for John Deere, with better air cleaning and oil distribution. No, the JD D155 has a B&S ESL V-Twin engine. I simply can't determine the transmission type. I emailed the JD dealer and should have my answer Monday. The information is not available online as far as I can determine. I'll probably go to my local Home Depot tomorrow just to look at both the JD and Cub Cadet models. They have all four (2 JD and 2 CC) models on display. After that, my decision will be based on service and extended warranty coverage. I believe JD's extended warranty is for two years. I don't know what it is for the Cub Cadets. I'm going to research them tonight or tomorrow. I've been to my local JD dealer so I know they provide good service. I'll have to visit my local Tractor Supply dealer and check out their service and parts availability as I've never been there.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Service and extended warranty coverage are the very less of what I would think about, then of course I have been in the repair business all my working life. But think about that two year warranty. It's the first two years you are less likely to need repairs. You are talking about extended warranty, so what is the standard warranty. Now again I do my own service so its easy for me to talk. I have worked for dealers doing repairs and it always seems to me it never made any different as to where it was bought, we got paid the same no matter what. The dealer doesn't pay for warranty work the factory dose.