John Deere LX188 problems staying running when under a load. HELP

Simplyjdman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere LX188 problems staying running when under a load. HELP
I have a John Deere LX188 with the liquid cooled Kawasaki motor. My problems seemed to start when I had the carburator replaced by a local shop. It seems that when running under a load, the mower will just quit, but not consistantly. Sometimes it will mow the whole yard, no problems. Next time out, I can't even get around the house once before it quits. I have tried several things in my troubleshooting, such as replacing the ECM, eliminated the fuel shutt-off solenoid on carb., new fuel pump twice, totally new fuel lines, cleaned the tank, cleaned the fuel cap, left the cap loose, checked for good spark, replaced the fuel filter, on and on. In my latest attempt, I bypassed the fuel tank and pump and installed a fuel nurse tank directly to the carb. Mowed for a short while, and same problem. I can throw the throttle all the way to choke, and it seems to chug and continue to run. If I don't do this, then it just shuts down. I have also tried to pour a little fuel down the air cleaner intake. It will start and run until the fuel is burned out. Sure seems like the carb is vapor-locking or a float issue, not? Had that apart and looked very clean and no issues. One other note-worthy item I noticed is that one side of the radiator is really hot, but other side is not at all. Could water pump or other issue be causing problems? I always seem to lead back to fuel. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hilllawnmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like that carb vent is stopped up, tank isn't venting or needle is sticking....vdefinatly sounds fuel or lack of related.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why was the carburetor replaced..? on your list above you did not say that you have cleaned out the carb, its there I would go.

Simplyjdman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaned carb and didn't find anything. Mowed this time and no problems? Don't know if problem resolved or not? Now it is winter and will have to wait until spring!

rrook58

Forum Newbie
Threads
My john deere LX188 would sometime be hard to start, so I was advised to replace the fuel pump. The lawn tractor begin to start better but it now cuts off so frequently I am only able to cut for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting off. Once it cut off, I have to let it set for a while before it will restart. I have replaced the fuel sensor shut-off solenoid and it worked better before not starting at all. the fuel sensor solenoid has been replaced again, a new gas line, a new gas tank cap, a new ignition module, a new fuel filter, new spark plugs and it does the same thing. I managed to get it started recently and while sitting still it run for 1 hour, but soon as I got on it and begin cutting grass it cut off after 10 minutes. Any suggestions I can try?

Rokon

Threads
How clean is your gas tank? Any algae growing in there?

When you bring the mower under load your carburetor wants to pull more fuel. Your problem is most likely in the carb or the tank.

Simplyjdman

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would appear that the new carb was not jetted the same. Removed old jet and installed in new carb and everything is GREAT!!!