Repairs John Deere LX172 Rebuild Help......Desperately.

stantheman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All!

My father and I had to take apart our John Deere LX172 38" (to fix motor repairs) and put it all back together. We are having trouble assembling the last piece of equipment. I attached a picture of the schematic that we are having trouble with. The bolt # 6 shown in pic, doesn't seem to fit through the metal plate reaching across to the number 4 and 5 nuts and washer. I have contacted our local John Deere company and they were not able to help over the phone.

Without the bolt in place, the parking brake (part #1) will not lock and the case will not fit properly. Everything else is put back together except this step.

Does anyone have a way to fix this? This is the last step that needs to be done. Any input or help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• John Deere Part Pic.gif
    John Deere Part Pic.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 10

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello All!

My father and I had to take apart our John Deere LX172 38" (to fix motor repairs) and put it all back together. We are having trouble assembling the last piece of equipment. I attached a picture of the schematic that we are having trouble with. The bolt # 6 shown in pic, doesn't seem to fit through the metal plate reaching across to the number 4 and 5 nuts and washer. I have contacted our local John Deere company and they were not able to help over the phone.

Without the bolt in place, the parking brake (part #1) will not lock and the case will not fit properly. Everything else is put back together except this step.

Does anyone have a way to fix this? This is the last step that needs to be done. Any input or help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

That looks like a standard carriage bolt. If yours will not go through, it is the wrong bolt. I am understanding that it is too big around? Or is it just too short?

Go to the hardware store and buy a longer/smaller one. Take the one you have with you so as to get the right one. buy several if needed to be sure.

stantheman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for replying. Yes the bolt is too short to go through and reach the washer and nut on the other side. All of this engages the parking brake.

I guess we are stumped as to how the bolt fit through this in the first place.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for replying. Yes the bolt is too short to go through and reach the washer and nut on the other side. All of this engages the parking brake.

I guess we are stumped as to how the bolt fit through this in the first place.

That's easy...you put the correct bolt somewhere else.

That is the only answer...it sure didn't shrink.