John Deere LA145 wont turn over no power

TeamINF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so my rider wont turn over at all no click nothing...
I have tried the following:
Changed battery
Changed solenoid
Fuse is good
Check for continuity on both sensors/safety switches they are good
Checked also ignition plug, pto all are good
My cables are good too

Only thing i haven't done yet is change fuel and air filter..but could that be why it wont turn over? I am so lost please help!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was battery new, charged up, ready to go? Check oil level on dipstick, how does it look? Do you have a multimeter to check battery voltage? Also check ignition switch at backside of dash for rust & corrosion.

TeamINF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Battery is brand new and charged up. Oil level is good. I have a muiltimeter and check the battery its good. I pulled out ignition switch and teated it with multimeter it beeped in all the right places. Still i get nothing the dash reads nothing and no turn over or engagement at all. Am i missing something? The fuel filter is really dirty could that cause it not to engage or turn over at all? I inspected the wiring nothing melted or ruined..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Obviously some thing is not good so please do the following and report back
Grab the jumpers from your car boot and jump from the battery negative to a good ground on the engine ( drain bolt is usually a good place ) .
Cranks fine = bad ground strap
No difference the hook the other jumper from the + on the starter motor then to the + on the battery
Engine cranks = faulty wiring
Engine does not crank = bad battery or bad starter
Repeat all of the above with a know good battery like from your car

BEcause the JD technical manuals are so well written & so comprehensive , particularly in the way they describe how to test the electrical system & where to test the system I always recommend owners buying them.
COnsidering the price is only a couple of hours of the technicians billing rate they are dirt cheap .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Key in cranking position, do you have 12 volts at the solenoid? Does the solenoid click when you turn the key to the starting position? Hand on solenoid to feel for a click, turn the key to START position. What do you have? Mice in the garage eating your wires?

slomo

Last edited:

TeamINF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Obviously some thing is not good so please do the following and report back
Grab the jumpers from your car boot and jump from the battery negative to a good ground on the engine ( drain bolt is usually a good place ) .
Cranks fine = bad ground strap
No difference the hook the other jumper from the + on the starter motor then to the + on the battery
Engine cranks = faulty wiring
Engine does not crank = bad battery or bad starter
Repeat all of the above with a know good battery like from your car

BEcause the JD technical manuals are so well written & so comprehensive , particularly in the way they describe how to test the electrical system & where to test the system I always recommend owners buying them.
COnsidering the price is only a couple of hours of the technicians billing rate they are dirt cheap .
Ok thanks! Going to try this once it stops pouring out!

TeamINF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Key in cranking position, do you have 12 volts at the solenoid? Does the solenoid click when you turn the key to the starting position? Hand on solenoid to feel for a click, turn the key to START position. What do you have? Mice in the garage eating your wires?

slomo
Ok i havent felt for a click on the solenoid only listened..will try and report back...no chewed on wires that I can see although mice are possible

TeamINF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks! Going to try this once it stops pouring out!

slomo
Only about 8 volts reading solenoid not clicking...could it be a bad voltage regulator?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only about 8 volts reading solenoid not clicking...could it be a bad voltage regulator?
8 volts is a dead battery or poor cables and a bad ground.

Voltage reg has nothing to to with starting the engine.

slomo

olie01

Threads
jump between the two heavy connects on solenoid starter should turn. clean connectors on safety switches. neutral brake sw. is on top of transmission. If it has a PTO sw. and ignition sw. put voltmeter on battery when turning the key see if it drops when you turn to start, if not jump wire or screw driver from the hot post on solenoid to the starter post, the small one and see if it cranks. have same problem on my 170.