John Deere JA65 wont start, New Coil done

So how does one go about checking the timing...?

Remove the blower housing and related parts. You will probably have a large nut or bolt holding the flywheel on and you will most likely have to remove that retainer. Look straight down from the top of the crankshaft for a keyway. There is also a keyway on the flywheel. The two keyways should be lined up with a key. If you see one keyway in one position and the other keyway in another position, the timing is off due to a sheared key. The loose blade could be a result of hitting something and shearing the key in the process.

Report back with what you find.
 
Fix the blade mounting problem before trying to start the engine.

Done, that was the first thing repaired...... Also this mower has a blade clutch for lack of a better word, it can run with the blade disengaged.

Any idea on how I check the timing, I would think that the magnets on the flywheel just line up with the magneto when the piston in at TDC?
 
Remove the blower housing and related parts. You will probably have a large nut or bolt holding the flywheel on and you will most likely have to remove that retainer. Look straight down from the top of the crankshaft for a keyway. There is also a keyway on the flywheel. The two keyways should be lined up with a key. If you see one keyway in one position and the other keyway in another position, the timing is off due to a sheared key. The loose blade could be a result of hitting something and shearing the key in the process.

Report back with what you find.

Great,

I will inspect that crank key to see if it has sheered off.

Thanks again for the insight
 
Yes I saw that as well, I took the photo down. So Timing ok, good spark. What next? Like I said this wont even ignite starting fluid, so its not a "fuel" problem. I guess I should check compression next?

Any ideas?
 
Ok so I was curious so I put my finger where the plug goes and rotated the engine by hand with the fly wheel. I can feel no compression, I can hear however air move in the carb throat when I cycle the engine...like a stuck open valve on the intake side?

Is this a possibility with this setup? I have never been into one of these...only V8's :smile:

Thanks.
 
Have you got a compression tester..? if you have good compression you will have air being pulled in the carb and pushed out of exhaust, when you turn over engine, if you don't have that you have a problem with valves or rings.
 
I dont have a compression tester, I can hear the engine "breathe" through the carb, but I dont hear it at the exhaust.

I will take another listen, I should hear it at the carb on the intake stroke only, and I think I hear it on every stroke of the piston.

I may put up a video of this.
 
Back
Top