John Deere JA65 wont start, New Coil done

thinkglad

Member
Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice on getting it to start. I was cutting the lawn and the lower just turned off....not like it was out of fuel, but like the kill switch was hit. After it had cooled off I took the recoil cord off to access the coil, replaced it with a brand new one, along with the plug, still does not start, so I tried it with the kill switch disconnected from the magneto, still no go. Upon checking the oil, it was quite low, barely on the stick. Hmm oil pressure switch? I filled it to capacity and still no go. Tried starting fluid in the carb throat and directly into the cylinder....no start, seems to have compression as it pulls differently with the plug in vs. out.

Magneto was installed with a business card as a standoff from the flywheel, which has just been hit with 150 grit sand paper to be sure it was clean.

What next?

Thanks for the advice and direction in advance,

Broken Deere
 
There is a certain distance needed between coil and flywheel maybe business card was not correct distance? also follow all the wiring and see if there is a short anywhere?
 
Yes, I did remove the ground to the coil, and tried to start it both ways, connected, and disconnected....the spark plug wire is part on the coil, so its brand new.

I just measured the business card and its .014" (Fourteen Thousandth's of an inch) not sure what the spec is.
 
In answer to your first post: Based on what you wrote, you have not physically checked if you have spark. Start by checking to see if you have spark and try a new spark plug. It sounds like you lost spark but you never know for sure until you test the system. You could also have a defective new coil - it happens - but again, you do not know until you test.

In answer to post# 3, please post engine model, type, code, spec and/or serial numbers so someone who has access to engine specifications can look it up for you. You can also try a google search once you have your engine numbers.
 
Briggs and Stratton 121602-0281-E1

Will check for spark tonight.....However I doubt the brand new Magneto is bad, but it is something to look at.....

I will post the result.

Thanks
 
OHV SINGLE CYLINDER Armature Air Gap 120000 Horizontal Shaft .25.35 120000 Vertical Shaft .15.35

So you may have Incorrect armature air gap. but as above check to see if you have a spark.
 
The proper way to check for spark is with the plug in the engine with a spark tester. less then 5 dollars from most any auto parts store. Also could you of hit something and knocked the flywheel out of time?
 

Here is the spark at .014" gap

I dont know about the timing, however one bolt was missing from the blade, and it was a bit loose, but no the blade did not crash into anything.
 
Back
Top