John Deere D170 Lawn Tractor won't start!

u54gp1m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turns over fine, just will not start. Replaced both spark plugs. Removed and blew air through fuel filter. Doesn't seem to be clogged. Does anyone know how to tell if fuel pump is bad or what problem might be? Thanks!

ferrisbestyet

Threads
No 1 you must have compression No2 You must have spark No 3 you must have gas

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very simple test to tell if the fuel pump is bad. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and put a container under it. Turn the engine over and see if you have fuel flow coming out of this fuel line. Its just a low pressure pump but you should have a stream of fuel.

ferrisbestyet

Threads
Very simple test to tell if the fuel pump is bad. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and put a container under it. Turn the engine over and see if you have fuel flow coming out of this fuel line. Its just a low pressure pump but you should have a stream of fuel.
Still ,lets get back to the basic problem of a engine that want start.... JF it is turning over by the power of the starter and a charged battery......(1) Is it a 2 or a 4 stroke engine? (2) Remove the plug or plugs and preform a compression check,,,,(Always,,,, start here ,,,,,,, no exceptions,,,,,,, (2) See if you have spark at the plug or plugs,,,,(spark should jump a 1/4 gap ),,,, on most 2 &4 stroke engines,,,, Refer to manual on your motor,,,,,, (3) Next see if you have gas to the engine,,,,,, If you have all three ,,,,The engine should (hit),,,, BUT not necessarily,,,,,,START..... This is where you will have to bring a manual into the problem to see if the engine is receiving the correct amounts of the basic three, above,,

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lets really start at the begining and find out what engine is fitted?

Jack17

Threads
Does anyone know how to tell if fuel pump is bad or what problem might be? Thanks!

Well, to test fuel pump properly you should do it with engine running. Obviously your engine ain't starting but try this: disconnect fuel line from the pump leading to carburator. Fill that line and the carb with fresh fuel. I use squeeze bottle with a plastic nozzle. Hold that line in upright position and give it a crank. If engine fires up you're golden and you can turn it off as soon as possible. In order to test fuel pump you must run the engine at fast idle for 15 sec. If you have pressure gauge should read about a 1 psi, if you don't have a gauge you can do volume check. Fast idle for 15 sec and you should have about 3 oz. in the bottle coming out of that pump.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Still ,lets get back to the basic problem of a engine that want start.... JF it is turning over by the power of the starter and a charged battery......(1) Is it a 2 or a 4 stroke engine? (2) Remove the plug or plugs and preform a compression check,,,,(Always,,,, start here ,,,,,,, no exceptions,,,,,,, (2) See if you have spark at the plug or plugs,,,,(spark should jump a 1/4 gap ),,,, on most 2 &4 stroke engines,,,, Refer to manual on your motor,,,,,, (3) Next see if you have gas to the engine,,,,,, If you have all three ,,,,The engine should (hit),,,, BUT not necessarily,,,,,,START..... This is where you will have to bring a manual into the problem to see if the engine is receiving the correct amounts of the basic three, above,,

Seeing it a John Deere D170 it has a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine. Yes I do agree with you. All I was doing was giving him a very simple fuel pump test.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, to test fuel pump properly you should do it with engine running. Obviously your engine ain't starting but try this: disconnect fuel line from the pump leading to carburator. Fill that line and the carb with fresh fuel. I use squeeze bottle with a plastic nozzle. Hold that line in upright position and give it a crank. If engine fires up you're golden and you can turn it off as soon as possible. In order to test fuel pump you must run the engine at fast idle for 15 sec. If you have pressure gauge should read about a 1 psi, if you don't have a gauge you can do volume check. Fast idle for 15 sec and you should have about 3 oz. in the bottle coming out of that pump.

Yep,
In a similar fashion I keep an old lawn mower ( Victa ) fuel tank in the kit as it has a screw in fuel tap and use a few feet of clear pvc for fuel line.
Gets used for checking fuel pumps ( by passing ) and as primary fuel supply, checking fuel tank supply, verifying bad fuel / water in fuel also if I am running an engine with no cowl so I don.t run it too long & cook the engine

u54gp1m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the posts. It suddenly started up this afternoon after letting it sit a while. It was about 1/4 full with gas that was probably 2 months or so old. I filled with new gas along with stabilizer yesterday. Maybe the old gas was a problem? Also, I started it without choking. Maybe I had flooded it somehow before. I don't know. It is running a lot smoother with the new plugs. Whatever happened, it's running now and I'm happy. Thanks again.