John Deere D110 smoking - 60hrs on it

contactparag

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have John Deere D110 which starts smoking in few mins after starting. It has only 60hrs on it, bought in 2015 so it's out of warranty.
I read few threads & common fix is head gasket.

But I had it checked in shop and attached are the notes. They are mentioning engine issue & repair will cost more than $1000.
Should I still try to change head gasket or get rid of this? Last year I didn't fill new oil & might have caused different issue.

Attachments

• 20230629_105217.jpg
    20230629_105217.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hate dealers who do stuff like this
Yes replace the head gasket it is an easy job and the parts cost is around $ 25
Make sure you get the right gasket & do not buy it from that dealer
The gaskets all look similar but will have a solid tab joining 2 bolt holes or have all bolt holes on individual tabs
This is what JD uses so they do not get mixed up
You can do it with the engine in the mower and even leave the muffler in the head.
I usually remove the carb at the manifold then tie it back out of the way
And undo the bolts that hold the muffler to the frame and slide the head out of the way if the exhaust bolt will not come out .

A little trick here is to get a long Torx or inhex impact socket to remove the rear muffler bolt
Yours should be a torx
Now for the trick
start the engine & run it for 5 minutes to warm the head up
Use either an impact gun or socket driver with a 4" extension ( so you do not get burned ) to remove the muffler bolts
Then go away and let the engine cool down completely before taking the carb & head bolts off .

Unless you have been running without an air filter or had a serious hydro lock the rings & bore should be fine but in any case it is prudent to remove the head and check before consigning an engine to the scrap heap .
A leak down test on an OHV engine can not tell the difference between a blown head gasket & broken rings .
With your engine blown head gaskets are very common where as bad rings bore at such low hours almost never heard of .