John Deere D-130 Tractor - 42" deck

jenkinsph

Threads
Jhon,
I should say thanks for pointing the high lift blades out to us. Blades are cheap, I am going to buy a set and see for myself.

Sammy the Red

Threads
Reverse the direction that you collect leaves.

Carl T

Threads
Hi lift blades are only availble through the JD dealer. I tried everywhere without any luck, even tried to get 3 sets for my L130 at a reduced price, no room for discount. I did manage to get a few sets when JD had a coupon special. I can find aftermarket blades of all types but no hi lift blades.

Sammy the red is right the pickup of leaves work better if you keep the chute like you are throwing clippings to the middle.

chassacto

Forum Newbie
Threads
All - thanks for the good information on the D130 bagging blades - just ordered mine from The Green Parts Store for my new D130 coupled with a Cyclone Rake power bagger. Clearing 1 acre of grass with 50+ trees. As indicated in posts - regular cutting blades that came with the D130 from Lowe's disperses fragment of leaves in all directions in spite of good suction from the Cyclone Rake. Thanks.

pile81

Threads
Pitch your mower deck like 3/8 to 1/2 inch front to back........this maximizes blade speed, allows only the front cutting edge of the blade to cut the grass, and provides adequate airflow to push material into tje bags......

chassacto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pitch your mower deck like 3/8 to 1/2 inch front to back........this maximizes blade speed, allows only the front cutting edge of the blade to cut the grass, and provides adequate airflow to push material into tje bags......

pile81 - just received the blades, uninstalled and likely will be awhile given the abundance of water in my hardpan, clay-based yard. I will install and not pitch to evaluate the difference between the mulching blades and hi-lifts, then then try the pitch to determine how that works. Always have been a bit of a technical observer and looking forward to the experiment. Where did this idea come from - curious in Sacramento? Thanks again for the info - great forum - looking forward to receiving and providing good information from and for the JD enthusiast.

pile81

Threads
The idea of pitching the deck came from Deere, to create air flow and let the cutting edges do the work not the inboard part of the blade....and bagging wet wet grass is like making a snowman in the arizona desert.....

PJ

Threads
Hi Guys - I recently purchased a JD D-130 tractor - 42" deck with all intentions of doing a knock up job of picking up leaves from my 1 acre property. I use to own a Toro Wheel Horse with a 38" deck that picked up leaves like a vacuum cleaner. Both sides of the deck cleared leaves from the lawn without leaving any stray debris to be picked up on a second or third pass. My new tractor unfortunately does NOT do the same clean up job? When I make a pass in a counter clock wise direction, the right side (pick up tube side) shoots leaves back out to the cleared area and yet there is no obstruction or clogging of leaves to create a blow back. The mulching blades that I purchased to improve picking up leaves came with instructions that mention that the blades have a left and right designation which was nowhere to be found on either of the blades. I have already complained to JD and shot many videos at various angles, speeds, heights etc to support my argument that this 42" deck with mulching blades does a lousy pick up job. So far I have had the dealer tell me that there is nothing wrong with the tractor, deck or blades but didn't comment on the tell tale video and the reason why the tractor was sent back to them. I'm somewhat disappointed on how John Deere's consumer support department threw the problem back to the dealer and his techs. Now that I've indicated that if the problem is not solved soon, I may demand my money back, a district rep is supposed to look into this problem. If anybody out there has had the same problem or have any suggestions on how to avoid the multiple passes to pick up leaves I would appreciate hearing from you. Paul R.

Hi
I have a bagger and found if used the grass must be dry. If I cut early in morning and grass is slightly wet I will pass again later when dry

Good luck
PJ