John Deere 325 with Kawasaki 531 engine Governor problem

destano

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 325 with Kawasaki 531 engine Governor problem
I have a Kawasaki FH531 engine in my John Deere 325 lawn tractor. I tore it down to replace all the seals and gaskets due to oil leaks. I reassembled the engine and set the governor up like it says in the manual. Throttle wide open, governor shaft counter clockwise and governor arm counter clockwise. Engine starts and goes full rpm. Took the crank cover off to check the governor shaft and everything appears fine. Put it back together and it worked but did not reach a high rpm when throttled up. Tried to adjust governor a little and now it will only go full rpm again. Can't get it govern at all.

Last edited:

destano

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 325 with Kawasaki 531 engine Governor problem
I solved my problem. You need to put an allen wrench through the hole in the governor shaft and hold it counterclockwise while you tighten the governor arm (also ccw) and the throttle wide open. The bearings on the cam shaft governor plate will extend and turn the governor shaft if you dont hold it in place while tightening. You cannot leave 7mm of governor shaft showing like the manual indicates. Instead push governor arm onto shaft touching the allen wrench and you should be good to go. Put control panel and choke and throttle cables on and adjust low and high idle as indicated in the service manual.