John Deere 318 rebuild

flyfisher6032

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

My 318 engine starts but sounds rough. The decision to be made is to rebuild or put in a new engine. It has a lot of hours on it and I want to keep it. It is heavy and does a great job of plowing snow. Any advices from the mower guys or girls?

Thanks,

CajunCub

Threads
IMHO....Doing a good thorough rebuild (Bore the block & an oversize piston, rod journal recondition, Valve grinding, Seals & Gaskets) will always be way easier than a retro fit! Upgrading to newer engines always brings more troubles than the advantages. While you do it, do some fresh painting, cleaning, & always rebuild the carb at the same time. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like Briana has another thread to move!

flyfisher6032

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMHO....Doing a good thorough rebuild (Bore the block & an oversize piston, rod journal recondition, Valve grinding, Seals & Gaskets) will always be way easier than a retro fit! Upgrading to newer engines always brings more troubles than the advantages. While you do it, do some fresh painting, cleaning, & always rebuild the carb at the same time. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

CajunCub,

Thanks for the encouragement. I thought that would be the best way to go. I'll try to post pictures as I go, but I can't start for awhile. (Money & Time)!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
CajunCub,

Thanks for the encouragement. I thought that would be the best way to go. I'll try to post pictures as I go, but I can't start for awhile. (Money & Time)!

I have an '89 vintage JD 318 with about 1200 hours, needs a rebuild and SOMEDAY I will do that...yeah, right...:frown: