john Deere 318 Help Needed

Phogan

Member
Hello everyone!
I have my grandpa's John Deere 318 Lawn Tractor.
It is the tractor I learned to drive with him when I was a youngster.
Now it is mine and I want to fix it up so I can use it with my children.

It has been sitting outside for about 3 years without running.
I can now get the engine to crank but not start.
I have tried the starter fluid trick with no luck.

I also put in new spark plugs with no luck.
i also can't find a spark at the end of the spark plug wire.
I would try to start it with the end of the spark plug wire against the frame but see no spark.
Is it the wire?

I know this could be anything but would love anything else to try.
It has new gas in it too.

Sorry so vague but I am new at this and on a limited budget.
Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks for your time
Phogan
 
If you have no spark it could be a couple of things. Bad coil, bad key switch, etc. I'm guessing bad coil. Post your engine numbers so we can see what you are talking about.
 
If it is a Briggs they will be stamped on the engine or valve cover. If it is a Kohler or Kaw there will be a decal.
 
Back
Top