John Deere 180 Starting Issues

Mudface777

Threads
I just picked up a John deere 180 from a guy. It clicks when trying to start and I have to turn the key like 20 times just for the starter to engage. Is this a wiring issues or what. Please help!

Mudface777

Threads
Were would I find one of those and is it hard to put in?

Mudface777

Threads
I never thought of doing that. thats a great idea. I will post more when I get through the project. Thank you.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try a new starter solenoid.

First of all that starter solenoid is very pricey, So just run right out and buy one without checking the old one first and find out that isn't the problem. The last JD 180 I had with that problem had a bad key switch. Check your amperage to your small wire that goes to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is part of the starter.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
First of all that starter solenoid is very pricey, So just run right out and buy one without checking the old one first and find out that isn't the problem. The last JD 180 I had with that problem had a bad key switch. Check your amperage to your small wire that goes to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is part of the starter.

Then I will sit back and let you give all the right answers.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then I will sit back and let you give all the right answers.

You got all the answers you will get from me. That starter solenoid only goes for 90 dollars or better yet buy the whole starter for 280 dollars. No skin off my A##. All I was saying check your amps. first. I know parts are very cheap in UK so just replace then till you get it right.

Mudface777

Threads
I just checked amazon and its 30 dollars so I guess I will just get it and see.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just checked amazon and its 30 dollars so I guess I will just get it and see.

Kawasaki FC540V your mower should have this engine. Part number for starter solenoid AM102577 Amazon price $63.48 + shipping. Not saying that isn't your problem but test it first. A new starter switch $8.00 + shipping. Just telling you what I found on the last one I repaired but no two jobs are alike. I am finding on this forum all the time of people just changing parts without finding the problem first. Even 30 dollars is a lot to spend if that isn't your problem.

Mudface777

Threads
Man I must have been looking at the wrong one. Thanks for the help. Quick question though. Would the starter switch make it click and not start like that?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Man I must have been looking at the wrong one. Thanks for the help. Quick question though. Would the starter switch make it click and not start like that?

Yes very much so. A very easy way to check this is run a jumper wire and bypass all switches to the small post from your pos. battery post. If it still doesn't start you will know its the starter solenoid and if it starts every time I would think it could be the switch or bad wire.