John Deere 17hp Runs Rough

hurst1979olds

Threads
I just picked up a 17hp John Deere (Scotts) 17hp mower. It is a 2000. The guy I got it from owned it since new and he is very meticulous and this mower has new tie rods, pulleys, belts, fresh tune up, new blades. He is throwing is extra of those parts as well as he keeps them in stock. But he decided to buy a new mower because this one is acting up.

When you start it up the thing revs up and down and you can see the governor moving. If you steady the governor it runs great. When you engage the blades it smooths out as well. But you can faintly hear a popping from it running rough.

Should I just take the carburetor apart, clean it and slap it back together or is there something I should check or adjust.

Thanks in advance.

okiepc

Threads
Sure can't hurt to remove and clean the carb as the cost would be minimal & it would eliminate it as the problem. :thumbsup:

hurst1979olds

Threads
Thanks. I'm going to pull the carb apart and hope for the best. He just told me in the 13 years hes had it he never took the carb apart. Every season he put stabil in it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As long as you. Have it apart, I would replace the needle and seat.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
not going to hurt to clean the carburetor, but if you are still getting the popping noise after the carburetor cleaning I would take a guess maybe a tight valve?

RussellTP

Threads
It might be valve seat little worn and it happened to me before. I used little lead substitute in the gas tank and solved the problem.

hurst1979olds

Threads
Well I took the carburetor of. I took it all apart and cleaned it out. It was still running.rough. but the float level didny look correct to me. So I took it apart and a push in jet fell out. It had an o ring on itband it landed on the table. So I put it in a spot were it liked.like it went and the tractor ran worse. Black smoke and it would barely idle. So I took it back apart and the jet fell out again and now I can't find it.

The carburetor is a nikki #498888n. Would a rebuild kit have this jet. Does anyone have a schematic of how these go togethet? Or should I buy a carb?

hurst1979olds

Threads
Well I was able to locate a diagram. But its hard to tell were the main jet would go. Also the needle, does it seat in the plastic of the fuel transfer tube? Im use to seeing them seat in a metal jet. Also when I reassembled the carb float is hanging down too low. Is there a way to adjust the plastic float?

Attachments

• nikki carb.jpg
    nikki carb.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 9

hurst1979olds

Threads
Ok. So if the float level is not correct then it would be best to replace the main plastic piece and the plastic float? Also in the picture I posted the 118a says its the main jet. It was a little small brass jet that I lost. There's site selling that little jet. Were does it go? I will review your link once I'm on a computer. Thanks for you help.