John Deere 175 Hydro - how to move without starting?

LawnWrangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old John Deere 175 Hydro that came with my house. I haven't been able to get it started yet, but plan to work on it over the winter.

My question is - how can I move it without starting it?? The mower is in neutral, but it won't roll. When I jacked it up to test the wheels, they spin in opposite directions when I move them manually.

I have a little lever or pin on the back of my newer John Deere that allows it to freewheel, but this JD 175 doesn't have one (at least not in the same place).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As for the position of the bypass valve, go to the JD web site, plug in your details and download the free operators manual.
Now you should be able to move it even with the bypass closed.
It should roll freely for about a foot then get progressively harder to push then lock up.
If it does not do this then check that the brake has not rusted up solid.
it is behind the right hand wheel.
The brake works on the layshaft, not the axel directly so even if the brake is on solid, the wheels will rotate in opposite directions due to the nature of the diff.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is anything like my JD, there should be a rod sticking out the back end that you just pull to release.

LawnWrangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips. I figured it out. There is a knob on the body floor between the steering wheel and the seat. The label has rusted off, but I turned that knob all the way to the left and it allows the mower to freewheel.