John Deere 160 Spring Location

john2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John deere 160 that I have broken down and refurbished. The problem is I did not take a picture of the location for the spring that holds the blade hight linkage. If I set it on 4 before I drop the deck it holds pretty good but if Im not paying attention it will drop to 1.If anyone has a picture of the spring location it would be a great help. The parts manual dose not show location. Thank You

d29

Threads
) Ensure that the mower deck drive belt tensioner lever is released. The lever is on the discharge chute side of the mower deck.
2) Attach the rear draft arms to the tractor.
3) Attach the front draft arms to the rod that goes through the holes in the front attachment mount points. Cotter pins mount through the rod inside the draft arms.
4) Attach the lift straps to the deck (assuming they're still attached to the tractor). The adjustable one goes on the left side if you need to reinstall them first.
4) (a) If you need to reinstall the lift straps hold the deck height adjust arm all the way forward/down. Install the lift straps through the hole on the lift strap and pull them down so they are engaged in the slot. Having a partner to hold the height adjust lever is a big help, otherwise tie it or use a bungee.
5) Reinstall the mower deck drive belt to the PTO. It takes some OOMPH to displace the deck drive pulley to generate enough slack to get the belt around the PTO.
6) Reengage the mower deck belt tensioner lever by pivoting it ~180 degrees to retension the sping that attaches to the two-stack pulley of the mower deck drive.

john2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think I explained my situation well. The spring is about 6" long I believe its the M73114. It just keeps some tension on the adjustment lever so it will stay in any of the 1-4 potions for the blade height. Thank you for your reply

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
is the plastic hook broken off the retainer? That is what usually happens to them. The spring just holds the lever into the notches. I have replaced the plastic on several mowers.

john2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks the hook is broken off if it part of the plastic piece of the 1-4 potions.What does the other end of the spring attach to.Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks the hook is broken off if it part of the plastic piece of the 1-4 potions.What does the other end of the spring attach to.Thanks
The screw that holds the plastic retainer on.

john2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You very much. Now I can complete the restoration to 100%.
Thanks again
John