John Deere 14SE kawasaki surging and carb overhaul question

s10sleeper

Threads
  • / John Deere 14SE kawasaki surging and carb overhaul question
I posted this last night in the John Deere forum not thinking that it may be more of a general issue as my ADHD meds had worn off :confused2: . I have a 14SE 4.5 hp mower with a kawasaki engine. It has had problems over the past few years with surging at low idle, but not under a load.

The very first thing I started to do was checking the plug, looked good, light brown from some use as I had replaced it a year ago. It also delivered a strong spark on testing it. Fuel line has been replaced along with the air filter. I figure that the issue may be a partially plugged idle or such and so I will need to disassemble it and go through it to find that out.

I am figuring it is time to rebuild the carb and am looking to find a carb kit for it. I have not had much luck but was hoping to find a part number for the kit as I am going to work tomorrow and would like to try to cross reference it as I work at an auto parts warehouse and would like to use my discount there rather than having to buy each part separately from John Deere.

Has anyone else experienced this surging problem at idle? Also has anyone ever had any luck in locating aftermarket overhaul kits for this carburetor? The carb is a Kawasaki carb, number AM124620 and kawasaki number 15003-2609.

I am also going to take it in to work at the warehouse this morning in case we have any kits to fit it

s10sleeper

Threads
  • / John Deere 14SE kawasaki surging and carb overhaul question
correction on the carburetor, turns out the carb is a mikuni I found after removing it this morning. I was previously misinformed.