John deere 14sc whats the deal on that one?

gentlejax

Threads
forgive me for being new to this. I have a JD 14pb I am working on getting right and I found a 14sc down the road thats not running and in who knows what shape. what is the deal on the sc ? what makes it rare and whats different on it. I am still communicating with the giu to see if its worth $20 and my time and gas to go get it

redmondjp

Threads
The "SC" in the model stands for Self-Propelled Commercial.

It's the commercial-duty version of the mower that you have (but it is self-propelled with a 5-speed gearbox). The primary and most visually-obvious difference is all-steel wheels with sealed bearings. The motor also will have an oil pump and external spin-on oil filter, and there may also be deck guards (AKA rub strips) on the sides of the deck. Most of the other parts are identical to the consumer-grade version.

They are fairly rare and desirable by those that understand what they are. If it is in good condition and you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd go for it. There is a lot of info on the commercial models on the mytractor site in the walk-behind forum. If it has a damaged deck, you can switch all of the other parts over to your deck to make it into a 14SC.

gentlejax

Threads

It's the commercial-duty version of the mower that you have (but it is self-propelled with a 5-speed gearbox). The primary and most visually-obvious difference is all-steel wheels with sealed bearings. The motor also will have an oil pump and external spin-on oil filter, and there may also be deck guards (AKA rub strips) on the sides of the deck. Most of the other parts are identical to the consumer-grade version.

They are fairly rare and desirable by those that understand what they are. If it is in good condition and you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd go for it. There is a lot of info on the commercial models on the mytractor site in the walk-behind forum. If it has a damaged deck, you can switch all of the other parts over to your deck to make it into a 14SC.

looks like you have hit all my posts lol.....the SC is $20 ...I am going to try to get the honda and the JD into my little crossover today. its about an hour away so its a one trip deal and I dont have a truck or trailer and my ride doesnt have a hitch

gentlejax

Threads

looks like you have hit all my posts lol.....the SC is $20 ...I am going to try to get the honda and the JD into my little crossover today. its about an hour away so its a one trip deal and I dont have a truck or trailer and my ride doesnt have a hitch

redmondjp

Threads
If you can pick up a 14sc in virtually any condition for $20 that is a no-brainer. They are pretty rare in my area - I will see 2-3 per year on CL and those are usually a four-hour round trip away from me. You can part it out and sell the wheels and gearbox on Ebay for probably at least $100 (the wheels alone sell for over $50 each new).

JD is best

Threads
The "SC" in the model stands for Self-Propelled Commercial. It's the commercial-duty version of the mower that you have (but it is self-propelled with a 5-speed gearbox). The primary and most visually-obvious difference is all-steel wheels with sealed bearings. The motor also will have an oil pump and external spin-on oil filter, and there may also be deck guards (AKA rub strips) on the sides of the deck. Most of the other parts are identical to the consumer-grade version. They are fairly rare and desirable by those that understand what they are. If it is in good condition and you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd go for it. There is a lot of info on the commercial models on the mytractor site in the walk-behind forum. If it has a damaged deck, you can switch all of the other parts over to your deck to make it into a 14SC.
what does "sc" stand for?

redmondjp

Threads
sorry, I meant SB

S = self-propelled (other option is 'P' for push)
B = Blade Brake Clutch or BBC

The other option instead of the 'B' is 'Z' for zone start where you have to be standing in 'the (safety) zone' behind the handle while holding the bail in order to start it.