john deere 110 starting issues

The Maddox

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey everyone, got some issues with my first older mower. its a 1970-72 john deere 110 with a k181 engine. to make it easier im going to put the problems in the order they happen haha

First problem: turn the key and the engine turns and turns and turns, but will almost never start up. like it isnt getting a spark. when it does start it runs great but im terrified to turn it off, seeing as it probably wont start back up

problem 2: after trying repeatedly to start it(and failing), it decides that it doesnt want to do anything at all. and i mean nothin'. the only thing that moves is the battery gauge

problem 3: oh boy, i finally got it running this is gunna be great!!! 5 minutes in it turns itself off. seems like its bogging itself out or running out of gas. sometimes i can catch it by either A: shaking the battery or B: pressing the clutch for about 30 seconds. but half the time im not able to catch it.

this is my first mower and im already in love with it. i just want it to work properly. can anyone give some advice and help me get this antique back on the lawn?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
hey everyone, got some issues with my first older mower. its a 1970-72 john deere 110 with a k181 engine. to make it easier im going to put the problems in the order they happen haha

First problem: turn the key and the engine turns and turns and turns, but will almost never start up. like it isnt getting a spark. when it does start it runs great but im terrified to turn it off, seeing as it probably wont start back up

problem 2: after trying repeatedly to start it(and failing), it decides that it doesnt want to do anything at all. and i mean nothin'. the only thing that moves is the battery gauge

problem 3: oh boy, i finally got it running this is gunna be great!!! 5 minutes in it turns itself off. seems like its bogging itself out or running out of gas. sometimes i can catch it by either A: shaking the battery or B: pressing the clutch for about 30 seconds. but half the time im not able to catch it.

this is my first mower and im already in love with it. i just want it to work properly. can anyone give some advice and help me get this antique back on the lawn?

Problem #1 Make sure the choke plate is closing completely as it should.

Problem #2 Will not be a problem if problem one is solved.

Problem #3 It does sound like it is fuel starved.
Some suggestions mentioned often here.
Check that gas cap vent is not plugged, just loosen it up when the mower starts to act up and see if it helps.
Carburetor may need cleaning/float sticking and other problems
Fuel lines could be plugged or lining separating and collapsing
Filter could be plugged
water in fuel/ old fuel
Air filter dirty
spark plug fouled

Narrow it down to a fuel problem or a spark problem

The Maddox

Forum Newbie
Threads
awesome man, thanks for the direction. im going to work on it now and get back on later with how its going

The Maddox

Forum Newbie
Threads
so ive gotten it running but the 3-5 minute run time is still a factor. i think the best plan is to get a new carb. the float is dented and taking on gas needle looks like it been put on a grinder to fit and the carb just looks all around gnarly. would the stater have anything to do with the short run time or would that be a seperate set of problems?