john deer 265 starting....

tyson1790

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deer 265 mower that will not start and/or run without starter fluid. I checked the fuel pump and it is working, fuel is getting to the carb. If I take the air filter off and spray fluid in there, it will start but it will only run for as long as I am spraying fluid. I have ground the point off of the solenoid that goes in the bottom of the carb, so that shouldn't be causing any problems. I am stumped as to what else I can do to get this going. I also replaced the spark plug, and the igniter. Any suggestions?

Glyn Robinson

Threads
probably wouldn't hurt if you checked the engine compression.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post engine make and numbers ( all of them )

Obviously you are not getting enough fuel into the engine.
Pull the carb off , turn it sideways and blow air through the carb,
A vacuum that blows works best, if not a low pressure air gun, DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN, or a normal air duster with dunny roll tube around it.
You are trying to mimick air passing through the carb and you are watching for atomised fuel mist coming out of the engine end of the carb.
If it sems to be pumping gas no problems then you are looking for an air leak
If it can not maintian a good fuel mist you are looking at a carb / fuel supply problem.
I got caught out once too often so I now have an old push mower tank hanging from a rafter OUTSIDE THE WORKSHOP and an old blower type spray painting blower.
I use this set up to check carbs for atomising fuel exactly as described.
This might be illegal in some places as you are pumpinr raw gas into the air and contravining EPA regulations so not a good idea to do it on the front porch.
Also remember you are pumping out whay should be a very flammible air/gas mix so no smoking, BBQ's heaters etc