JD LX277 Carburetor question

ey8675e

Threads
Bought this machine at an auction and have no history. It had several past issues which I addressed, some with great help from this forum. Now I have hopefully a last issue; on the top of the carb. there is a hose connection (1/4 or 3/8), I need to know where that hose connects to. When I run the machine gas pours out of this connection. When i shut the machine off, gas continues to come out until I put the hose higher than the gas tank. Looked for diagram/picture of carb. but to no avail.

:eek: I've spent lots of effort in trying to resolve problem myself but just can't get off 1st base.

Help please

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let me repeat a post from another thread that might just get you the help you need. Please follow it.

Since this is a help forum, it is only fair that the people trying to answer questions have some information to work with, so they can give an accurate answer. This helps them if they need to research parts or service information on your engine or equipment. In the first part of your post please include your engine numbers from the ID tag or stamping and the equipment type and model numbers that are on it. Failure to do this may result in you not receiving any accurate help with your problem.

Many of the tech's that hang out here work in or have there own shops and the first thing they do when they make up a work order on a unit is include the engine and equipment numbers on the work order. Since this technical forum is offered free to the public, it's the least we can ask you to do, so please help all of us out. *So please post the numbers in the new topic you start to ask your question. It should be the first thing you write before beginning your question. :D

Threads
Bought this machine at an auction and have no history. It had several past issues which I addressed, some with great help from this forum. Now I have hopefully a last issue; on the top of the carb. there is a hose connection (1/4 or 3/8), I need to know where that hose connects to. When I run the machine gas pours out of this connection. When i shut the machine off, gas continues to come out until I put the hose higher than the gas tank. Looked for diagram/picture of carb. but to no avail.

:eek: I've spent lots of effort in trying to resolve problem myself but just can't get off 1st base.

Help please

Did you try this site?? https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned
Type in "LX277" here: JD parts diagrams.jpg and then look for what you want.
Good luck! :smile:

ey8675e

Threads
Thanks for the link to JD Parts and diagrams. It list the part as a tube but does not show where it goes. BTW I think the model # is fh500v. I still don't understand why the gas is puking out of that connection and tube!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would say that is the vent tube for the carb. If gas is coming out of it, I would bet that the carb needle valve is not seating properly, causing the carb to overfill, and come out the vent.

Threads
I would say that is the vent tube for the carb. If gas is coming out of it, I would bet that the carb needle valve is not seating properly, causing the carb to overfill, and come out the vent.

Since I am not the most mechanically inclined, when you say the "vent tube", are you referring to this (the circled thing in the picture)?
DSCN5092 - Copy.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You said that the gas was coming out of the carb. the tube circled in the picture is the vent tube on the fuel tank. If that is where the gas is coming out of you have bigger issues than a carb problem. Depending on year of mower, may have charcoal pack in fuel tank, and if it got fuel saturated will bave to replace the fuel tank.

Threads
You said that the gas was coming out of the carb. the tube circled in the picture is the vent tube on the fuel tank. If that is where the gas is coming out of you have bigger issues than a carb problem. Depending on year of mower, may have charcoal pack in fuel tank, and if it got fuel saturated will bave to replace the fuel tank.

I don't know if that's where the gas is coming out of on ey8675e's mower. I am just wondering if that is what you are talking about or not...since I'm not mechanically inclined!! So that is not what you were talking about in post #5? :confused2:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let me back up a minute. A carb has to have a air vent to prevent siphoning of fuel through the carb. What is happening in your case is the needle valve, or float valve, is not sealing causing the fuel pump to overfill the carb, and the extra fuel is coming out the atmostpheric vent, which is the hose connection on top of the carb. The open end doesn't hook to anything. The purpose of the hose connect or hose connected to it is to allow air into the fuel bowl, to prevent air lock, You need to get a carb kit and remove and clean the carb, and install new gaskets, as well as a new needle valve to correct the problem.

ey8675e

Threads
Well good news thanks to your all. Removed carb and cleaned, blew out and it run great. No gas coming out of carb hose, everything aok, all is well. Sure do appreciate everyone's effort and wisdom. I would hope some day I can have an opportunity to pass the kindness on.