JD LTR 180 Motor replacement choices..?

Fogducker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning all, probably something you hear on the site every day, I have a broken mower and need some help.

I purchased a very clean 2004 John Deere LTR 180 with the Kawasaki FH500V 17hp air cooled engine. The mower is in mint condition but we knew there were engine issues, I removed the engine and broke it down to find a broken connecting rod, block was full of metal fragments and block is cracked just below one of the cylinder holes..........funny thing was, engine still ran! Didn't sound healthy, but ran............

At this point I am not sure what to do, I have looked into replacing the complete FH500V motor but they seem to be VERY expensive and living where I do I am not sure how easy it would be to find one, another choice would be a different brand motor, but what will fit? I have looked online and not found much for choices for a straight swap in motor.....I was told perhaps a B&S 16hp 303777 ?? Last choice, which I think would be the easiest and most cost effective, would be to find a replacement "rotating assembly" basically the block with crank and pistons etc that I can install all my old components on, everything is in excellent condition from the old motor...............any suggestions or input? Thank you. Jeremy