JD LA 145 not getting gas

Dumbfounded

Forum Newbie
Threads
I‘m new here so apologies if this question has been asked before. I have a LA 145 riding mower that won’t start due to a fuel line issue. I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump. I’m noticing that the filter won’t fill with gas when cranking the engine. So I’m wondering if the problem is inside the tank, like maybe a mesh pre-filter or something else. I wanted to ask the brain trust here for input. And does a potential fix require removing the fuel tank. Thank you!

Josh01010

Threads
I‘m new here so apologies if this question has been asked before. I have a LA 145 riding mower that won’t start due to a fuel line issue. I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump. I’m noticing that the filter won’t fill with gas when cranking the engine. So I’m wondering if the problem is inside the tank, like maybe a mesh pre-filter or something else. I wanted to ask the brain trust here for input. And does a potential fix require removing the fuel tank. Thank you!
Having gone through some fuel issues on my Toro ZT here is some advice:
1. Check the fuel cap, unscrew it and try starting. The cap is designed to allow air in as engine draws fuel, if it doesn't breath, fuel wont flow.
2. Check the pickup tube in the gas tank, make sure it's still attached to the fuel line and free from obstructions.
If you can get at it, remove the fuel tank and visually inspect it. Drain it out into a funnel lined with coffee filters into an empty container. look for debris.
If there is debris good idea to rinse/clean it out and dry it. As others suggested, use compressed air through fuel pickup hole to aid in drying. Also leave out in direct sunlight with gas cap off, this will help evap any water.
3. If you can, test fuel flow through pump--disconnect the fuel line from carb and place into small clean jar. Then try starting. You should see flow, if so then look to the carb.
4. Check the carburetor solenoid. It should click when in the 'run' position. Disconnect the wire and briefly touch it to the connector, you should hear it open/close.
5. If all good so far, then looks to be a carb issue. Remove the bowl and look for gunk. Get some carb cleaner and remove the carburetor from engine. Spray out the carb and fuel passages. You should be able to 'spray' through the jet passage ways and see it come out in the throttle body.