JD LA 135 steering issue

gatorblade

Threads
Where the gear on the steering shaft meets the steering plate is very sloppy. The two pivot steering rods from the plate to each wheel seem flimsy. My 93yr.old Father -in -law has a tough time steering on this 9yr. old mower. I realize this is a residential mower and you get what you pay for. $ 1800 is not a throw away mower. It looks and runs great, rides very rough. Course he weighs 115lb. so he bounces easily. I'm thinking how much of an upgrade is there for a mower with power steering, if there is not an easy fix for the steering. Anyone familiar with this situation? Thanks, rockman

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two weeks wages IS a throw away mower price.
The steering gear fan gear drag links and steering knuckle bushes are all service replacement items.
There is also a bush at the bottom of the steering shaft which the instruction manual that no one ever bothers to read tells you to lube .
Some of the older garden tractors had power steering but they are rightfully 3 to 6 months wages.
AFAIK power steering got dropped because no one would pay the extra for it.
I have worked on Troybilts with horizontal engines that have power steering and also some Bolens with power steering.

gatorblade

Threads
Your right, just started greasing the steering last yr. We replaced the front wheel axles 2yrs. ago. Both axles had an 1/8" deep flat spot on top and he had greased the wheels every other mowing. Thought the wheel bushings would wear first. I will check closer and see what has worn. I believe right away I will go to a truck stop and find what we called in the 1950's a girlie knob, or suicide knob, that clamps to the steering wheel. He has one good shoulder so this may help till we get the steering fixed. Thanks much, rockman