JD JA62 carburetor assembly questions

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks again Engine Man!

I could start the engine yesterday.... for the first time.
I primed 2 or 3 times (this rubber ball pumping some drops of gas into the carb) and it started easily.
But the engine didn't seem to be stable...rpm was not constant and (at idle but also under higher rpm) The engine was 'surging'..rpm going up and down.

Another question: Are there new 'tires' available for the mower...in order to climb better. My tires have almost no profile left and the mover has a hard time to climb my New England lawns...

Best, Martin

If the carb has mixing screws then they need to be adjusted, which should help with the surging, if no adjustments then the carb needs a clean out, if all is well with the governor and rods, I can't help you out with the question on the tires has I don't live in the USA.

werminghausen

Threads
If the carb has mixing screws then they need to be adjusted, which should help with the surging, if no adjustments then the carb needs a clean out, if all is well with the governor and rods, I can't help you out with the question on the tires has I don't live in the USA.

thanks again,
do you know how to adjust the carb? I mean the mixing screws inside?
Martin

werminghausen

Threads
Here are a couple of pictures from the carburetor of my JA62. I hope someone can comment what might be wrong and help me figure out how to solve the problem.
Martin

Here are hopefully some better pictures of the carb.

As I said... the engine is running now but speed is not stable..engine is surging. Need to find the right screw for mixture.

Are people suggesting that the mixture is too rich (too much fuel)?
How do I know if the mixture is right?

Best, Martin

Attachments

• PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 17

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't see by your photo if there are any mixing screws, going by the specs there are none.

Attachments

• 121600carb.jpg
    121600carb.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 21

werminghausen

Threads
Can't see by your photo if there are any mixing screws, going by the specs there are none.

Hi Engine Man, thanks for the diagram.
There are 2 versions of this carb? One called 'primer system' on the left of picture and one 'choke system' (right side). My carb seemed to be the left one (primer system) and has probably an automatic choke?

So what would you do with a surging engine?
Take the carb apart and try to clean everything... do I need some new o-rings and gaskets for that job?
Like parts 163A, 975, 276?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think you don't have PRIMER AND CHOKE SYSTEM you have one or the other, only by taking it apart will you know what you need, a carb kit should come with...

163A Gasket
134 valve and seat
137 O Ring (seal)
276 washer

But most of all, you need a good clean carb...!

werminghausen

Threads
Hi,
I tried to take the carb apart.
I can remove the bottom screw and washer but the bowl (container with the gas) does not want to come off the body.
I didn't want to use too much force. Do you think I should?
The parts don't seem to be high quality..so I fear I will break something here.
But I need to get the container off in order to clean the inside of it.. I guess.

So I need any seals in case I get this container off?
Best, Martin

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once you have removed the nut from the bowl twist the bowl, and yes renew the seal.