JD JA62 carburetor assembly questions

werminghausen

Threads
I am a newbie and have never seen a JA62 before but inherited one this winter.
...wanted to ask if someone can help me get this old JA62 going? I have no manual and I didn't take pictures (which tell more than words)
It stared today buy died after. It started only with the lever at the push bars pushed down.
What does this lever do to the engine?

Carburetor assembly: I am not sure if the existing 2 wire rods are correctly installed in my mower (at the carburetor).
There is Rod1 (wire) at the carburetor coming from in front of the cylinder (which is moving when I push/pull the inner of the 2 levers at the push bar).
And there is Rod2 (another wire) that comes from the back of the engine and ties into the small lever that moves the throttle.
Rod2 has a soft spring to the Rod1 bracket.... so the 2 are connected but I don't know if this is correct.

Clearly if I push/pull the gas lever (left side of push bar) the throttle doesn't move.
Where is Rod2 coming from and what is moving Rod2?

If someone can send me a picture and/or explain how this assembly works ....would be great.

Best, Martin

werminghausen

Threads
This is a diagram of the push bar with
A - Blade/Engine Control Lever.
B - Gear Shift Lever (JA62).
C - Throttle Lever (JA62)

just for clarifying the functions: I think I have to hold A and E ?? to the bar in order to start?
And if released it will stop the engine?

So for the carburetor: I'll take a few pictures later today but I think the assembly is not correct as C (throttle lever) should control the throttle directly with the push/pull rod?

if anyone had a picture of the correct assembly I'd be grateful.

Best, Martin

Attachments

• gc00514i023.jpg
    gc00514i023.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Image.gif
    Image.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Image2.gif
    Image2.gif
    8 KB · Views: 17

werminghausen

Threads
Here are a couple of pictures from the carburetor of my JA62. I hope someone can comment what might be wrong and help me figure out how to solve the problem.
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 30

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The pics are poor with you but I have worked out the carb set up.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 38
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 36

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the John Deere forum.

werminghausen

Threads
The pics are poor with you but I have worked out the carb set up.

Hi Engine Man,
thanks so much or your diagrams...
Yes my pictures suck big time... I agree. I'll do better when I have a better camera.
Does anyone know what the rod is that is coming from 'behind'... which is directly connected to the butterfly/throttle?
This ones is then connected to the accelerator rod with only a spring... how does this work out?

I thought I could directly move the butterfly with the rod coming from the handle bar..but no.

Best, Martin

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The rod that is coming from under the cover it the air vane governor (throttle) which would have a spring, the other rod in photo (photo poor) seems to be fitted to the choke, the choke can work from the carb itself (choke-a-matic) or from the lever.

werminghausen

Threads
The rod that is coming from under the cover it the air vane governor (throttle) which would have a spring, the other rod in photo (photo poor) seems to be fitted to the choke, the choke can work from the carb itself (choke-a-matic) or from the lever.

Thanks engine man.
I'll shoot some better pictures today... here are some assumptions and questions in the picture you sent earlier
Martin

Attachments

• carb2 .2.jpg
    carb2 .2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 27

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your top question in pic, that is the air vane which is governed by the air flow.
question on the right of pic "rod from throttle lever" the governor spring tends to open the throttle, air pressure against the air vane tends to close the throttle, when you pull this lever (engine running) the forces (balance) between it (lever) and (air vane) is called the governed speed.
question left side of pic, the spring has nothing to do with the choke or choke rod.
your question " Engine is off and the butterfly (round plate in center of carb) is partially open, not closed..is this correct?...answer yes.
and your last question will work correctly, if you have set up all the springs and rods, when you pull on the lever you are pulling against the governor, therefore opening the butterfly.

werminghausen

Threads
Thanks again Engine Man!

I could start the engine yesterday.... for the first time.
I primed 2 or 3 times (this rubber ball pumping some drops of gas into the carb) and it started easily.
But the engine didn't seem to be stable...rpm was not constant and (at idle but also under higher rpm) The engine was 'surging'..rpm going up and down.

Another question: Are there new 'tires' available for the mower...in order to climb better. My tires have almost no profile left and the mover has a hard time to climb my New England lawns...

Best, Martin