JD 320 Lawn Tractor Front End Bearings

Glyn Robinson

Threads
I am needing to replace the front end spindle bearings on my JD 320 mower. I can't find them on John Deere parts web site. The number of one is 6205DU. It looks like they all will be the same size. Any suggestions on where to look and how they come out of the wheel? Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just measure the old bearing or bring it with you and most auto parts store like NAPA should be able to help you. From your number 6205DU I will say its a 6205 2RS which is a very common bearing. Myself I press them out and in with a shop press. If you don't have a shop press just use a hammer and large punch but be very careful you don't pound on the bearing balls but hit on the outside race, you can damage the new bearings otherwise.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
thanks. i tried punching one of them out this afternoon and didn't get it to move. i was afraid to hit it real hard. guess i need to. haha

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a socket that fits to outside race and beat the crap out of it. Just kidding about beating the crap out of it but it normally takes some force.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the spindle is out, pop it on your BBQ with lid on it in about 10 minutes the bearing will drop out.
You can do the same in the oven but that becomes expensive.:shocked:
Flowers, dinner at a fancy resturant and of course cleaning the oven & repainting the kitchen:thumbdown:

Glyn Robinson

Threads
are you talking about "beating the crap out of it" trying to remove the old one or installing the new one?

I use a socket that fits to outside race and beat the crap out of it. Just kidding about beating the crap out of it but it normally takes some force.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Removing the bearings.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
ok. there is what looks like a snap ring with no holes that's on the backside of the bearing. looks like it's there to make sure the bearing don't go in too deep when you install it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
ok. there is what looks like a snap ring with no holes that's on the backside of the bearing. looks like it's there to make sure the bearing don't go in too deep when you install it.

You are right about the snap ring. The bearings are a press fit and the reason I use a shop press. As I said earlier you can damage the new bearings if you install them wrong. Never put side pressure on the new bearing balls.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
ok. thanks for the info. about to go try it again.