JD 185 No Start

jetson22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys I've got a JD 185 and have had it for almost 25 years. It started right up this spring so I moved it about 10 feet and changed the oil, cleaned the filter, and sharpened the blades. Then when I went to start it.....nothing. The dash nor the head lights will light up. When I put a screw driver and cross the starter it will jump whirl but thats it. I bought a new ignition but did not help. I checked the fuses and they seem to be good. Any ideas? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One of the safeties is giving you grief or the Fuseable link.
Run a jumper from the hot side of the starter solenoid to the red wire on the starter .
You can just pokr a stripped bit into the back of the red wire where it goes into the plug on the back of the switch.
Turn the ighition on and if all looks well and the wires does not become too hot then you need to replace the fuseable link.
I unwrap the loom and fit a std blade fuse.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It should have a Kawasaki single cylinder FC540V in it. Good chance its one of the safety switches. I would say start with a wiring diagram for your year and model because this will be your road map of all the wires and switches. It looks like you have all ready started just replacing parts with hopes you find the problem. Most places won't take back electrical parts once you buy them so find your problem first.

jetson22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I am unfamiliar with fuseagle link term.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I am unfamiliar with fuseagle link term.

This is the reason you need a wiring diagram. Does it even have a fusible link. I know what a fusible link is, its a wire that takes the place of a fuse. Can't say as I ever came across one in model 185 John Deere.

Mikel1

Threads
Just curious but did you just look at the fuses or actually test them?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is the reason you need a wiring diagram. Does it even have a fusible link. I know what a fusible link is, its a wire that takes the place of a fuse. Can't say as I ever came across one in model 185 John Deere.

JD are the only tractors that I have ever found a fuseable link on which in most cases I have replaced with a fuse.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
JD are the only tractors that I have ever found a fuseable link on which in most cases I have replaced with a fuse.

John Deere model 180 and 185. They have a 10 amp fuse to the lights and a 20 amp fuse to the voltage regulator and the earlier models had a 10 AMP circuit breaker that went to the voltage regulator. I never said John Deere never had a fusible link because I don't know, but we are talking about a model 185?? I guess my question is just where is this fusible located on the models 185 or 180 because I have never came across one?? The different between the 180 has a standard trans. and the 185 has a hydro. I know these two model from working on both of them. I will say it again look at and use a wiring diagram. No two brands, model, or years are the same.