It's not the cam

hrdman2luv. the weight is designed that way. Have seen several over the years. The newer ones are more square. Sometimes that compression release issue isn't obvious when looking at the camshaft.
 
hrdman2luv. the weight is designed that way. Have seen several over the years. The newer ones are more square. Sometimes that compression release issue isn't obvious when looking at the camshaft.

I'd like to hear more about the non so obvious. Just in case I run across one. Against the customers wishes, I went to town and bought a starter. One with at least 350cca's. And low n behold, problems solved. It fired right up.

Live and learn not to take the customers word over a gut feeling.

Thanks to those who chimed in with advise.

BTW, the cam that was in it, was one that fit an engine with an oil filter. This engine doesn't have one. Is it standard to put a slotted cam in an engine that doesn't have an oil pump?
 
So the cam is OK, how is the fit in both bushes, particularly the top one.
Also the follower and the rocker and the rocker stud.
I got caught out with a rocker that was badly worn at the pivot point as was the adjuster / pivot nut.
That mower went in & out of the shop on an almost monthly basis.
Eventually I bushed the top hole for the camshaft fitted a new stud rocker pivot nut.
To my surprise the new ones were nothing like the older ones.
As this was a mower the previous owner "refurbished" I assumed it was mismatched parts.
 
So the cam is OK, how is the fit in both bushes, particularly the top one.
Also the follower and the rocker and the rocker stud.
I got caught out with a rocker that was badly worn at the pivot point as was the adjuster / pivot nut.
That mower went in & out of the shop on an almost monthly basis.
Eventually I bushed the top hole for the camshaft fitted a new stud rocker pivot nut.
To my surprise the new ones were nothing like the older ones.
As this was a mower the previous owner "refurbished" I assumed it was mismatched parts.

Uh oh. I didn't even think about checking those closely. When I adjusted the valves, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I usually give the rockets a little wiggle during the adjustment. They had a little wiggle, but then again, they all have a little wiggle. Simply because they're .05. If this one comes back, thanks to you mentioning this, I'll be sure to check them a lot closer. And more than likely, check all of them that I have to adjust.
 
Back
Top