It won't start but starter and solenoid OK

munro999

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 2000 Toro ride on and I can't get it going. I'm inexperienced but have done various checks and replaced parts but alas it won't go - it doesn't turn.
The starter and solenoid are new. The battery is showing 12+ V. I'm getting a click (solenoid) on turning the key and the starter engages with the flywheel but nothing more. I've checked the main cables for continuity and cleaned the grounds.

I'm not getting 12+ V at the starter side solenoid post when I turn the key - more like 6+ V and the same at the starter. I'm getting 12+ V at the battery side solenoid post.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks

Born2Mow

Threads
You cannot test a battery at home. Because of its chemical nature, a battery is rarely Good/ Bad like a light bulb or a fuse. They have about 20 states of relative Goodness/ Badness. What can be done with the battery takes some pro testing to determine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try turning the engine over by hand.
If it is seized and the starter motor can not urn the engine around it will draw a massive amount of amps as it is almost a direct short when not rotating
This will give you a big voltage drop at the starter side of the solenoid .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are only getting 6V at the starter your problem is a bad battery. It is either not charged fully or junk.

munro999

Forum Newbie
Threads
You cannot test a battery at home. Because of its chemical nature, a battery is rarely Good/ Bad like a light bulb or a fuse. They have about 20 states of relative Goodness/ Badness and what can be done with the battery takes some pro testing to determine for sure.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's good to know

munro999

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try turning the engine over by hand.
If it is seized and the starter motor can not urn the engine around it will draw a massive amount of amps as it is almost a direct short when not rotating
This will give you a big voltage drop at the starter side of the solenoid .
Ok, how do I turn the engine over by hand? I've had the fly wheel cover off and can get it to turn about 360. I figured it probably wasn't seized in so far as if I could get it round that far then the starter should - but didn't.

munro999

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are only getting 6V at the starter your problem is a bad battery. It is either not charged fully or junk.
Thanks. I tried my 12V car battery too and just got a lot more solenoid clicking but no more than that. Uhm?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks. I tried my 12V car battery too and just got a lot more solenoid clicking but no more than that. Uhm?
Where did you hook the jumpers to ?
If it was just to the battery then try jumping with the + direct to the starter motor & the - to a good grounding place on the engine.
Let us know what happens.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to do voltage drop tests now to pinpoint where the massive voltage is occurring. It can anywhere in the positive or negative side. If the voltage on the battery side of the starter is 12v +- when attempting to crank and the starter side is 6v +- then it is very good chance that the starter solenoid is bad. (otherwords has burned contacts).

I have had 12v to present at the battery side of solenoid until I attempt to crank and seen drop considerable cause of a bad terminal (corroded internally and not visable to the eye). Also other terminals can loose and lose contact once a load is applied.

Born2Mow

Threads
There's a lot of "back-story" missing here. And your location is not in your profile, so we can't even use our imagination to fill it in.

>> Did you put this mower away for the winter with this issue, or has it just developed it when you rolled it out for the first mow of the season ??
>> If it sat all winter, what steps did you take to prepare it for storage ??
>> And what maintenance steps did you take during storage to insure it would start in April ??

We only know what you tell us.